We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd observation

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
Odd observation

My family and I returned from a 7 day trip to London. Had a great time, didn't see as much as I'd planned, but maybe my schedule was a bit "agressive". LOL

Anyways.. one thing we noticed as we tooled around the sights was the complete lack of trash cans to dispose litter of in. Are there specific reasons for this? I can understand why they wouldn't be in the tube waiting areas (they weren't!) with safety being an issue (hiding bombs, etc..) but why not more of them in public spaces?

Could it be for the same reason? It seems you could cut down on some of the trash if there were just a few more bins.

Not a big deal, just curious.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd observation

You've got it - security.

And most local authorities have found that if they provide rubbish bins (trash cans), then - a) people fill them up and b) they need to employ people to empty them...

Better, they feel, to try and educate rubbish throwers to just take their rubbish away with them. Its not clear if they are winning hearts and minds...

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd observation

Its a terrorism thing. They were removed in response to the IRA threat and that was conveniently followed by Al Qaeda. Some areas are worse than others, eg. The City has none at all (being the financial district it was targetted) nor do transport facilities in general. Its part of the reason there's so much rubbish in the streets that has to be cleared up every night.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd observation

This reminds me of the time my oldest son and I were eating a quick bite at the McDonalds in Victoria Station before our train left. We got up to leave and throw out our trash and just kept turning around looking for the garbage can. Finally, some nice McDonalds employee came over and told us to leave it on our table. My son gave me a look like, "Am I really allowed to do that?" since he's certainly not allowed to do that normally.

4. Re: Odd observation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 22:50
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd observation

You just become handy at carrying rubbish around with you, unless you are gross like some people who do just chuck rubbish on the ground. grrrr.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd observation

Its a big security issue that, as has been said, stems back to when the IRA hid bombs in places where the public gathered. They have since been replaced by another threat, but I've personally never had a problem with lack of bins and me and the kids just pop our rubbish into our pockets or bags til we get home. Sadly there are some people who think its ok to throw it on the floor - maybe thats what they do at home!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Odd observation

In most other UK cities you'll find plenty of rubbish bins. The lack of them is pretty much a London thing

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Odd observation

I lived in Belfast when there were bombs going off every day but the only one I was ever close to had been placed in a litter bin behind Selfridges in Oxford Street. One of my friends lost part of his knee when another one went off in a bin at Waterloo station.

9. Re: Odd observation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 22:50
Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
269 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Odd observation

The devastating IRA bomb in Warrington was in a litter bin

bbc.co.uk/insideout/northwest/series2/warrin…

It was the day before Mothers Day 20 March 1993

In the UK it is Mother's Day this Sunday.