We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Will be in London, Oxford, and Cambridge area in late April. Have not been there in 10 years--looking for the best place for "high tea, or afternoon tea.

Thanks

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

There are lots of responses on the forum for tea suggestions - just type in 'high tea' or 'afternoon tea' in the search box for that information.

You can spend a small fortune at The Ritz, a lesser fortune at The Orangery @ Kensington Palace (which may be closed during your stay), explore the Bramah Tea Museum and have tea, or just get a good tea at many small pastry shops and cafes.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

It depends on how much you want to spend (by the way, you want afternoon tea. High tea is an evening meal that includes meat). As Notredameparent said, if you type "afternoon tea" in the forum's search engine, you'll find lots of recommendations, as well as some tea reviews I've posted.

My favourites thus far are:

Expensive tea: Lanesborough Hotel (about £28.50 per person)

Moderate tea: The Wolseley (about £18.50pp)

I usually recommend the Orangery for an inexpensive tea for the setting alone.

Other recommendations (in all price ranges) for you to check out: the Dorchester Hotel, Claridges, the Berkeley, Richoux, Tea Palace, Duke's Hotel, Fortnum & Mason, the tea room in Liberty, National Portrait Gallery, Yauatcha (for a Japanese-style tea, rather than an English tea), and Mo (for a Morrocan tea).

If you just want excellent tea and a slice of homemade cake, I recently discovered Postcard Teas on Dering Street, a shop for tea lovers. It's a tiny place full of tea accessories and terrific tea.

www.timeout.com/london/bars/reviews/8889.html

Blois, France
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

I really enjoyed afternoon tea at Brown's Hotel on Albermarle Street last week.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
614 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Brown's was great!!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

thanks to all for websites and places for tea

Sunny

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

You can't beat the Dorchester. I've been twice and I love it. The service is exceptional - its around £30, though you won't need dinner afterwards !

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

The Wolseley is cracking or for a more modern take try "Pret a Portea" at the Berkeley

sacramento
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

If you are going to Oxford, I suggest the Randolph Hotel which is right across the street from he Asmolean Museum- very easy to find. They have a lovely tea. If you'd like something stronger, the bar at the Randolph is the one where Inspector Morse- he of the BBC series- used to spend some time. In any event- the Randolph is quite nice.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Sounds grand! We watched Inspector Morse on PBS whenever it was on.

Dolgellau
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

At Claridge's you pay £30 per person but you can have as much tea and cake as you like! I think that The Ritz do a similar deal.

However, Fortnum and Mason is the best in my opinion. Tea and a banana split. Yummy!