We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Will be in London, Oxford, and Cambridge area in late April. Have not been there in 10 years--looking for the best place for "high tea, or afternoon tea.

Thanks

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,724 Reviews
from US$123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,265 Reviews
from US$125.80*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
761 Reviews
from US$103.00*
nottingham
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
21. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

At £36 per head, tea at the Ritz is no less than a rip off. It was bought for me a a present, so went out of duty. But there are only so many finger sandwhiches, cakes and clotted cream scones one can eat before feeling overfaced. Cant say that the surroundings were particularly elite either, an alcove just off the main reception area. Toilets were more impressive, a face cloth each to dry hands. Think twice before parting with this kind of money on a high tea at the Ritz.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
22. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

NottinghamMazy - what do you mean just an alcove off the main reception - isn't the tea at the Ritz served in the Palm Court - which on their website looks very pretty and formal! I have a 5:30 tea booked here in May. Your comment makes me nervous! My daughter and I are looking forward to our special treat!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
57 reviews
23. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Some lovely photos of the Palm Court at the Ritz can be found at Google images:

images.google.com/images…

I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon tea at the Ritz, btw.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
24. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

I realise I'm being picky, and I'm sure it's been mentioned on the boards before but, please, it's afternoon tes NOT high tea. I know the language has blurred, and the use of the phrase "high tea" has become more common for a "formal tea" but high tea is a cooked (normally) early evening meal at which meat is served. Ok, back to your normally scheduled programme.

Jennifer

(Yes, I know I'm being pedantic, but it's like fingernails on a blackboard - sorry!)

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
25. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Thanks theartgirl - Great pictures we are so looking forward to this splurge whilst we are in London. We went out and bought new outfits just for the occassion should be fun. Hoping to score some theatre tickets for after our tea too. I think that would be the frosting on the cake so to speak for a really great first day out in London. Don't you?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
26. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Given the difference between high tea and afternoon tea, I assume most of the responses here are for afternoon tea? And if one were interested in an actual high tea, perhaps as the meal before a show, what would you recommend....would the recommendations be different?

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
27. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Fortnum and Mason was my favorite too. Scones and tea for me, and ice cream for my hubby. Makes everyone happy. But it seems that they've redone the Patio restaurant (now calling it the Fountain Restaurant) and now opened a new ice cream parlor on the first floor. Now we can no longer have our goodies together. :( Bummer. Looks like we'll be looking for a new favorite.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
28. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

My walking tour guide (Mayfair) Sotheby's

you can look at the menu on their web page.

It's moderate by price when compared to the Hotel Teas and they do accept reservations.

I'm going in June.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
131 reviews
29. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

sothebys.com/cafe/sampleMenu_afternoonTea.ht…

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
57 reviews
30. Re: where is the best place for "high tea" or afternoon tea ?

Scarpenter, please report back.

Not a proper afternoon tea as such at Sotheby's (no sandwiches), but they do offer the makings for a cream tea for a very reasonable price.