We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family hotel location

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
family hotel location

I have always visited London on business and luckily stayed at the Dorchester. I love to stay there, however, I always depended on taxis for transportation. I am now planning a "fun" trip with my family and want a more central location where the streets are not deserted and I will feel comfortable walking after dark.

Would Green Park area be more lively? What hotels would you suggest in the 150-200 range ($3-400).

A friend suggested Upper Street area in north Maida Vale or Islington areas for a neighborhood feel. Isn't this far outy, and what hotels are there other than a Marriott and Hilton?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family hotel location

You don't say how big your family is and I'm presuming you want a family room. By Green Park, I guess you mean the Mayfair, Piccadilly area.

Marriott to my mind are the benchmark to beat at the top end of the market for families. Their hotels at Marble Arch, Regents Park and Maida Vale are family fiendly with good kiddies facilities and you can often get children go free or stay 2 days get a third a free. Bedrooms tend to be American style with two double beds.

Maida Vale is a bit out for the centre, and your neighbourhood feel will be on the 'eartht' side of neighbourhood. Kilburn / Maida Vale used to be the Irish quarter of London and there is still a significant Irish population but its basically a low income district where I wouldn't advise a visitor to go off the main streets at night.

If your budget allows go for the Marble Arch Marriott.

The Hilton Metropole is fine but North American visitors often have an issue that it is in an Arab district and they feel threatened (though need to be though). The Hilton Euston again has family rooms and is fine but the immediate area is a bit bland and uninteresting.

For Family Rooms in a great district I'd suggest you look at the Holiday Inn Mayfair, down by Green Park a very central area, safe and walkable to the West End entertainment area, shopping and the main sights.

(Holiday Inn in UK tends to be more upmarket than in US)

The Holiday Inn Bloomsbury (not Bloomsbury/Kings Cross) is also a family room hotel in a very interesting literary/university area, very close to the centre close to the British Museum.

Also in the centre is the Crowne Plaza City, next to Blackfriars Station. Though at the weekend this area becomes a bit of a ghost town, but is very central.

The Jury's Inn Islington also offers very good value for families. This area is more family friendly than Maida Vale.

My choice would be the Marriott's if you wnat to spend significant time in the hotels and use the faciliries, either of the Holiday Inn's if you want to spend more time out and need a handy central refuge to take short breaks .

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family hotel location

Tricia27, I've stayed at the Marriott in Maida Vale. Very poor location and the tourist information desk at Heathrow advised us not to use the tube there since hooligans had roughed people up.

So we took the bus down Edgeware Road to the Edgeware Road tube station or on down to Marble Arch. This was 20-30 minutes to get to the central sights. (Yes, that the tube station that was in the news.)

Sadly, the hotel itself is very nice.

You don't say how long you will be there, but you may be better off renting an apartment. At the top of the forum theartgirl has tips on renting. This would give your family more room to spread out.

When traveling with 2 kids we always tried to get two rooms so the kids could go to bed early if needed.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family hotel location

Thank you for the replies. I will be in London approx 6 days, and plan to show the city to my 18 & 23 y/o daughters. I don't expect to be in the room very much except to sleep. The girls will want to go out at night so I am concerned about walking about in less traveled areas. Are there many pubs conveniently near Green Park?

My side trips will be Bath & Stonehenge for a day, and possibly a half day in Windsor. I have used British Tours for touring previously but want to do as much on our own utilizing the trains.

4. Re: family hotel location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 11:21
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor