We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Travelcard question

Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Another Travelcard question

Sorry all. I know that this must get old but I can't decide between the Oyter PAYG or the 7 day travel card. We will arrive at Heathrow on Thursday and plan to take the tube to our hotel in Covent Gardens. On Friday we will take the tube to Kings Cross to go to St Pancras to go to Derby for Saturday and come back on Sunday. Then we will hang out in London until Friday Morning. We have transport in a car back to Heathrow so we will not need a tube ride on Friday. So basically we will use the tube on two days, then have one day off then need it for another five days. Anyway you look at it the Travelcard will have to be supplemented. What is the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance. Sorry to be so boring.

London
Level Contributor
562 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Travelcard question

You definitely won't get good value from a seven day Travelcard, so you'd be better to stick with 'pay as you go'. If you go crazy one day and start roving round the bus and Tube system, don't forget that your 'pay as you go' usage will automatically be capped at the price of a one-day Travelcard.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Travelcard question

You may find yourself using the Tube and / or buses more than once on your arrival day (Thursday); depending on what time you return from Derby on Sunday, you may have more than one journey as well.

If I were doing your trip, I would buy a seven day Travelcard on Thursday to start on Sunday (you can buy the cards up to seven days in advance of the first day of travel) and load about £10 on it for PAYG as well. I say this knowing that I use the buses a lot when in London, and I use the Tube a fair amount as well.

London is quite large, and although parts of it are very walkable, having a Travelcard means you have the luxury of jumping on a bus when you're weary or have a sudden change of plan, without worrying about the fare cap or whether you have enough PAYG money loaded.

Your needs and desires will be your own, of course, and only you know how much wakling you'll want to do, what sights you want to see, and whether or not you'd get the value of the card.

If you'd rather go PAYG all the way, then load £35 - 40 for your entire trip - that should be enough, depending on the distance you travel.

Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Travelcard question

Thanks so much. We most definitely use both the tube and busses all day long. So let me see if I have this straight. What if I purchased a 7 day Travelcard to begin on Friday and asked for PAYG to cover the tube from Heathrow on Thursday and some use on Thursday evening. I see one day that it will not be used but it seems more user friendly this way.

Thanks so much for your replies

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Travelcard question

That would work - give you seven days (Friday through Thursday) plus a bit extra for PAYG for Thursday, plus the trip to and from the rail station. There is that day where you won't use the card, but it's such good value that you'll get your money's worth no matter what, even on two Tube trips a day.

I'm a big fan of Travelcards, because I like an easy life - I just buy the thing, then don't worry about PAYG or excess fares (I usually keep £5 on the card, just as a matter of course). Saves time queueing and hunting for money for the ticket machines.

5. Re: Another Travelcard question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 16:15