We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Hi all,

We will be arriving in London in January (family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 boys 11 and 17). This will be last leg of our Europe trip, we will coming from Cardiff and arriving at Paddington Station. We will have 4 nights in London before departing via Heathrow. We will use the Heathrow express from Paddington to get to Heathrow.

I am seeking some advice as to the best area for us to stay in. Are we better off staying within walking distance to Paddington station? I haven't stayed there before so unsure if it is a good area or not. Alternatively would we be better transferring on to another tube link and go further around to say the Kensington area? Bearing in mind that we will have 4 x suitcases etc and not sure if this will be easy enough to travel around with on the tubes. I am mindlful also that the weather might be cold and wet.

Budget wise I am looking at anything up to about £220 per night.

Recommendations on area/accommodation would be most greatly appreciated. Thank you. Sarah

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Cardiff
Cardiff
Southern Wales, UK
Paddington Station
Paddington Station
1,197 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
1,024 Reviews
London, UK
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,237 Reviews
London, UK
Budget Guest House
Budget Guest House
167 Reviews
London, UK
18 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Paddington is an okay area but not very convenient for touring central London. And there are far cheaper and just as reliable options for getting to Heathrow than the Heathrow Express.

Just note that your family is 3 adults/1child (the 17 year old is classed as an adult).

On which date and time is your flight from Heathrow? That's to make sure public transport is running and to check for possible engineering works affecting the tracks.

And is the £220 per night for all of you or per room (you'll likely need two rooms)?

Take a look at Premier Inn, a very good quality budget hotel chain and may well have rooms for £110 or less. They have hotels within central London. Look at PI County Hall, Waterloo, Blackfriars, Kings Cross and Euston. All of those are close to the Underground (Tube) for a cheap, easy and reliable journey to Heathrow, assuming no engineering works hence the request for your flight details.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
1,024 Reviews
London, UK
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
91 Reviews
London, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Just to add re carrying your bags from Paddington on your arrival. Choose the hotel (or find a selection) and then ask for transfer advice.

Many of the hotels I suggested can be reached by tube stair free (though with changes). But with four of you a taxi, or tube plus taxi, could be more convenient and won't break the bank.

But choose the hotel first (based on location and budget) and don't base your hotel location simply on getting there with your luggage.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
667 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

There's nothing wrong with it, but it certainly isn't the 'best' area to stay it, it is just a train station. I'd skip the Heathrow Express unless you've already purchased tickets to Heathrow, it is the most expensive railroad journey in the world. If each of you is capable is carrying their own suitcase, then you'll be ok on the Underground, i assume they're not too big and the 11 year old is fine with his own suitcase.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
1,024 Reviews
London, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Hi Travelbug, this was almost my exact question today. We're doing similar, coming from gatwick, staying for 4 nights then into Heathrow and home. (Sydney)

I was going to stay near Paddington station, but after reading reviews etc I've decied now to stay around kensington area, and get the normal train on Piccadilly line to heathrow. Heaps cheaper than the heathrow express.

I have also decided that we're going to downsize our luggage big time. Just one large travel pack plus a carry on each. (There's 4 of us) The thought of trying to squeeze all our luggage into tiny hire car and have to lug it around scared me! Not to mention how much it cost to put it in the hold on the cheap Europe flights. (we're going over to Portugal and have saved around $80 by only having 1 bag in the hold. Not to mention 2 free hands!

Good luck with your accommodation and let me know where you end up. I'm currently looking into Air Bnbs, they offer the best value and space for a family in my opinion.

Kelly

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Paddington Station
Paddington Station
1,197 Reviews
London, UK
Europe
Europe
World
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,726 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

A family or quad room in here will come in on budget.

www.rhodeshotel.com/

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,101 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

<>I'd skip the Heathrow Express unless you've already purchased tickets to Heathrow, it is the most expensive railroad journey in the world. <>

Often heard this, never seen any proof.

Certainly walkup fares are high. But:

Some fares are as low as £5.50 if when purchased in advance. That's about .34p per mile, and less than the cash fare on the tube. (£6)

Plus:

"Children aged 15 years and under travel free in Express Class when accompanied by a paying adult, or can travel unaccompanied if they have proof of air travel such as a valid flight booking or boarding pass. Proof of age may be requested. "

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
1,024 Reviews
London, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,921 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Paddington is not the best area to stay in while visiting London. When travelling from South Wales I've almost always arrived in Paddington, and I've never stayed there. For me it's usually been Bloomsbury, Kensington, The City of London or Blackfriars, all of which I consider to be superior to Paddington.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
The Bloomsbury
The Bloomsbury
3,626 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,237 Reviews
London, UK
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Charlie I thought the express was super expensive, but after reading your post I went back in and looked. Looking like both hubby, myself and 2 boys can use it for only 11 pounds to get back into Paddington. That's not expensive. Initially when on the website it was saying 74 pound return! I think i was doing it wrong! So thanks for making me go back in and recheck the fares. Think we'll be using it for that price and convenience.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Thank you for the info, that's great. I will check out the hotels you suggested and will base trip around hotel like you say. Much appreciated.

Edited: 24 September 2017, 00:19
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?

Thank you USBusinessTraveller for the info, that's great. I will check out the hotels you suggested and will base trip around hotel like you say. Much appreciated.

Reply to: Is Paddington the best option for accommodation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted