We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

I am travelling to London with my 15 yr old daughter. We will land in Luton at about 1 am and are planning on taking the bus to Baker Street. It will be 5 minutes walk to our AirBnb flat, and I guess it will be about 3 am by the time we get there. Would you consider it safe for us to walk the street at that time?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Baker Street
Baker Street
360 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,515 Reviews
from US$121.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
717 Reviews
from US$110.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,199 Reviews
from US$124.60*
19 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
11,740 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

Yes, safety not a worry. But is this your initial arrival? Will someone be there to give you the keys at 3am?

London, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

I wouldn't say it would be unsafe, however it's not something I would want to do at that time of night in an unfamiliar city, because I'd be tired ,maybe fractious and desperate to get to my accommodation. Can you not book a cab (not a black cab- great, but too expensive) from Luton airport, or find accommodation near the airport for that night?

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

99.9% safe I'd say

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

As others point out..are you sure you will be able to access the property at that time?

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

No-one can guarantee your safety. Personally I would say that although you'll almost certainly be perfectly OK it's not the wisest thing you could do... and presumably you will have luggage. Obviously it would be difficult to orchestrate a cab from Baker Street for such a short journey but if I were you and wanted complete peace of mind I wouldn't walk it.

I assume you are travelling on the bus service that ultimately goes through to Victoria. Since that area will be policed (even at that hour of the morning) and you would not have difficulty getting a cab... why not go through to Victoria and get a cab from there? Of course it will cost you more to 'overshoot' your destination, but not as much more as a cab from Luton or a night in a hotel. If you decide to do that, please get a BLACK CAB and ignore anyone who tries to point you towards a mini-cab.

Edited: 24 September 2017, 23:18
Mentioned in this post
Baker Street
Baker Street
360 Reviews
London, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

Personally I would book a room at the airport for the night and go into London after a few hours sleep. Wouldn't want to be trying to find my way to and into an unknown flat whilst tired.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

I'd consider the area safe, however considering that you'll have just arrived and it's going to be very late at night, I'd still recommend a black cab. Even at that time of night it should be extremely easy to hail one along Baker Street, and don't worry at all about the short distance, the driver will be fine - a fare's a fare.

Mentioned in this post
Baker Street
Baker Street
360 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

The suggestion of staying the night near the airport and then travelling into town in the morning is also sound.

New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

It's not an inherently dangerous area, but I agree that trying to find an unfamiliar location in an unfamiliar city in the dark at that hour, with or without a child, is inherently dicey. I've had very good luck booking cars in advance from airports and there are any one of large number of airport limos or minicabs that you can book at reasonable expense. It's well worth the peace of mind.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter

At that time of the morning, I would take a cab/Uber. Just for peace of mind.

Reply to: Walking from Baker Street station very late, mom & daughter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted