We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

Planning on taking one way flight from London to Inverness, July 2018. Having never flown from either Luton or Gatwick, I'm looking for a recommendation as to which would be a better experience. I have a driver so I'm not looking for convenience regarding train travel to the airport, and the cost of the flight is essentially equal so I am just looking for advice as to which airport would provide the better experience, if one is better than the other. Thank you.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,662 Reviews
from US$122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,249 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
746 Reviews
from US$102.40*
20 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

I prefer Gatwick. I find security there pretty quick and there’s a good choice of restaurants and shops to browse through until the flight.

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

Much appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

Hi, I asked this question the other day and was told that Gatwick is way better over Luton. I've not been to either yet. But if it's just you with one bit a luggage maybe Luton won't be so bad? Flights for us were definitely cheaper from Luton, but we ended up choosing gatwick mainly as we have to get to and from on our steam and have a family traveling.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

In general terms I'd agree with Gatwick over Luton, especially as the latter is because no effectively rebuilt while remaining open. However, you may need to back up a little here - driving is not an ideal way to get to either of those airports if coming from central London. What time does the flight leave, and have you already got your accommodation fixed in London - if so, where is it?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
330 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

Really they're both airports at the end of the day, so what we're talking about is a kind of intangible sense of what the experience is like. Most people would say Gatwick is better because it's closer to the city, the airport itself is perceived to be a bit nicer, and so on, but a lot of what makes up an experience is pretty subjective. For what it's worth, I'd have to agree Gatwick is better but I'm probably basing that on a number of bad experiences at Luton (mostly on the customer service side) that were likely just bad luck or nothing actually to do with the airport.

For example, the last time I went through there every stop through the airport seemed to involve some annoying encounter with a staff member (the check-in staff member was rude, when we came back my non-British friend had an over the top grilling from the guy at the passport check, the cab driver outside quoted us a fare that was double what it should have cost, even the person in Marks and Spencer seemed to have taken a four year course in unfriendliness). Is any of this the airport's fault or just bad luck? Most of these people didn't even work directly for the airport, but rightly or wrongly the net effect of all of these years of experiences just leads me to instantly shout "go to Gatwick" at anyone considering these two airports.

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

It's a Sunday morning so I would hope that car traffic will be minimized. I'm looking to get to the airport around 10:30. We're leaving from a flat in South Kensington. My wife has some mobility issues so going by car is really necessary as opposed to mass transit. I realize no one can predict traffic, but I would hope that 90 minutes drive from South Kensington to Gatwick is reasonable.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,878 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

Must it be easyJet? If your wife has reduced mobility then why not book a flight with BA from LHR to INV? The fare will include a checked bag (fare with EZ will not), and with the start point of South Kensington a car service to Heathrow may cost about £30 and take 25 to 30 minutes as opposed to the minimum hour and a half to Gatwick and the cost of transport at least twice that to Heathrow.

If you must fly from Gatwick then consider travelling by rail, which will be faster and step free from Victoria to Gatwick airport rail station. Take a black cab to Victoria where there is step free access to all National Rail platforms; at Gatwick there are lifts or escalators from the platforms to the terminal building.

London
Level Contributor
11,997 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

Small error in post above, BA cheapest fares do NOT include checked baggage.

But I do agree, that from where you are starting choosing heathrow is far more sensible. If you're taking a car, the drop off arrangements at Luton can only be described as chaotic, not ideal for someone with mobility issues.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

As far as mobility is concerned then Gatwick is better.

You can be dropped off at the bottom of the terminal and there are lifts to departures and you pay no drop off fee.

Whereas Luton,though vastly improved from a year ago a) has a drop of fee £3 for 10 mins b) the drop off points are a 5 minute walk from the actual terminal. I was there Saturday and is 100% better

Having said that I don't know if there are facilities for mobility drop offs.

Gatwick for me!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday

If your wife has mobility problems, I suggest you have special assistance at whichever of the two you choose. You will both be taken an easier route through the airport by staff and not have to cope with long walks, stairs or queues providing your wife doesn’t object to going in a wheelchair at the airport.

I find Gatwick easier to cope with and took that flight last year.

Reply to: Flying EasyJet from Luton or Gatwick on a Sunday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted