We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Shows...recommendations?

Seattle
6 posts
Save Topic
London Shows...recommendations?

Here is a list of shows in London that look like they'd be good...I know they're a bit cliche, but what can I say?! Can anyone tell me which ones are great, or not? Our family of four has two kids aged 15 and 18.

1. Billy Elliott

2. Lion King

3. Mary Poppins

4. Merchant of Venice @ Globe

5. Midsummer Night's Dream

6. Les Miserables

7. Monty Python Spamalot

8. Phantom of the Opera

9. Sound of Music

10. Wicked

Any reviews are appreciated! Thanks!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: London Shows...recommendations?

Wicked was sensational . We will rock you is probably more suited to us baby boomer adults

You really dont need to know the story of the wizard of Oz to enjoy it...

My vote wicked 10 out of 10

jersey shore
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: London Shows...recommendations?

The audience for we will rock you was probably the most diverse we saw at a London show, so I have to take exception w/ the baby boomer idea. There were as many very young attendees as well as us boomers. It made for an enjoyable evening as any age seemed to enjoy the show.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: London Shows...recommendations?

"Do you need to know the story of The Wizard Of Oz to get the most out of Wicked, or does it stand on its own?"

Yes, it most certainly stands on its own, as the highlight is the performances of the cast.

But knowing the story helps -- not to understand the storyline of Wicked necessarily but to notice the clever twists the author of the book Wicked (Gregory Maguire) and the writer of the musical (not a direct adaptation of the book).

Lots of clever twists to both show how things came about in the original story and to turn much of the original story on its head.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: London Shows...recommendations?

Thanks, all, for the tips about Wicked. I'll read "The Wizard Of Oz" before I go, so I appreciate it more.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: London Shows...recommendations?

Feel free to take exception..but when i saw it in Aus..there wasnt a person under 40 in site

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: London Shows...recommendations?

That's OK - I'm over 40 :)

17. Re: London Shows...recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 00:15