We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

Melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

We are flying out of Heathrow (terminal 3) on Friday 29 December and I am trying to decide where to stay the evening before. Our flight is at 11:55am so we need to be at Heathrow at 9am to check in. We are coming into London by train around lunchtime on the Thursday.

- Initially I though we would stay at one of the Heathrow hotels and catch the bus to the terminal on Friday morning

- Then I thought we could stay near Paddington and catch the express out to Heathrow on Friday morning (although the express is closed on 28th and has a reduced service on 29th so I'm not confident that this is a good option)

- Now I am thinking of staying near Earls Court tube station and catching the Piccadilly line out to Heathrow on Friday morning.

I am confusing myself now!

Any advice on which will work best would be appreciated.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,677 Reviews
from US$122.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,251 Reviews
from US$125.10*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from US$102.50*
25 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

Earl's Court is a very good location for getting to Heathrow. But note that the direct tube service from Paddington to Earl's Court (District line) will be closed for engineering works until 30th December (inclusive). So you'd need to take a taxi to the hotel.

I'd still choose Earl's Court or possibly Kings Cross/St. Pancras which you'll be able to reach by tube from Paddington (but that's an additional 20 minutes on the tube on 29th compared to EC).

Edited: 16 October 2017, 04:44
Melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

Our train gets into Kings Cross so we can get the Piccadilly line to Earls Court. I'd not considered just staying in Kings Cross but thats another option now!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,028 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

"Our flight is at 11:55am so we need to be at Heathrow at 9am to check in. We are coming into London by train around lunchtime on the Thursday."

Are you planning to tour London city center at all?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

The Premier Inn Earl's Court has a rate of £70 for the night of 28 December, not bad at all. The Premier Inns nearer KX are a bit more expensive, and the PI Old Street has a rate of just £53 for that night, truly a bargain.

The disadvantage of the Old Street property is that Old Street station has stairs from street level to the platforms and it's a long walk from the Northern line to the Piccadilly line at KX, although the 205 bus from Old Street goes to King's Cross.

At the end of the holiday it would be very tempting to spend a little more for an easy journey on departure day, and I'd be tempted to book the PI near Earl's Court.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

Personally I would prefer to stay at Heathrow, but Kings Cross is a good option, especially if your train arrives there. It will save you having to manhandle your luggage on and off the tube at the end of a long journey.

On the Friday, you should aim to start your tube journey by 08:00.

Virginia
Level Contributor
678 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

We like the convenience of staying at Heathrow and we always stay that the Heathrow Renaissance. Easy terminal access; the Hoppa bus stops in front of the hotel. The hotel is newly renovated and the staff is wonderful. Right now for your date the have a 90 GBP advance purchase rate, If you're in the senior category the rate for that night is 109 GBP, fully cancelable.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
114 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

We are in London for a week earlier in December jordansbulls so no not touring that day. Depending on the weather we will have a walk around or pop into a museum/gallery. I guess that makes a hotel in London a better choice as we will have to leave our luggage somewhere!

Premier Inn Earls Court looks like a good option thanks TravellerPlus.

Not seniors yet hotdoggirl (we will have our 12 year old with us!) I think I stayed at the Heathrow Renaissance a few years ago. How long does it take on the bus to the airport from there and how often do they run?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

For convenience I'd suggest just staying in a hotel around King's Cross. There's plenty of accommodation options there to suit all budgets and you're very central, with the British Library just down the road and the British Museum within walking distance.

The journey from King's Cross to Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line is around one hour. So long as you're at the airport by 10am, you would be fine for your flight. But of course, decide on the option you're most comfortable with.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,056 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

The Hoppa runs about every 20-30 minutes but local buses run from directly outside the hotel to the central bus station every few minutes and are free. You do then have to get to your departure terminal which is fine if you are flying from T2 or T3, less so from the other two terminals.

Having said that you still have the hassle of getting from Heathrow to the hotel on the previous day so I would stay centrally and take the tube early the following morning.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow

We’ve stayed at the PI Earl’s Court several times. It is less than a 5 minute walk to the tube station, very convenient. The staff have always been helpful and very friendly.

If you haven’t stayed at a Premier Inn, your daughter will eat breakfast free when one adult orders.

Lots of restaurants in Hammersmith and near Fulham Broadway, both a short tube ride.

Years ago we stayed at Heathrow a couple of time, no more, much more convenient to stay central.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 14:31
Reply to: Where to stay night before long haul flight from Heathrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted