We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strollers, buses and underground

Orange County...
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Strollers, buses and underground

I have a 4 year old Daughter I’ll be taking to London and Paris. We don’t use public transportation in Los Angeles...so what do you all recommend for a stroller to get around on buses and the underground?! We will be in London for a week or so and also Paris. When we went last year I just had my older daughter. The little one won’t be able to walk around all day. Thoughts?! Suggestions?!

16 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,733 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

Use the buses.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,951 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

@ London

Buses are stroller (buggy) friendly. Dedicated space for two on most buses. If a wheelchair users boards, they have priority, and you will need to vacate the space. (we have not encountered this very much in our travels in London)

With a 4 year old, I would opt for a foldable umbrella stroller. That way there is no need to take up one of the dedicated spaces on the buses.

In addition, on the tube, your daughter could stand and ride the escalators/lifts and you wouldn't have to carry her in the buggy or take up space in the lift (elevator)

Edit: a foldable buggy would be a big plus in the tube. Your daughter is old enough to sit in a seat.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 04:35
Orange County...
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

The umbrella strollers are too uncomfortable to push all day. I am tall and can’t bend over all day. I have a folding stroller. We used the buses a lot when we were there last year. Do most of the stations have an elevator or lift to get the stroller to the trains? Or only certain stations? Also can they ride in a taxi or Uber without a car seat?! Thanks!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,951 posts
110 reviews
4. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

I wouldn't say "most of the stations have lifts"

This guide may help

…tfl.gov.uk/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

Your daughter can ride in a taxi or private hire vehicle (Uber are classed as this the of vehicle) without a car seat providing she uses the rear seat.

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,875 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

Without wanting to cast aspersions, can your four year not walk, so cut out the stroller? My nephews and nieces were out of the stroller by the time they were three at most (one of them has ust turned six so this is recent experience). And they enjoyed (especially the boys) riding the tube and trains.

So did I when I was four; I started school when I was four.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 06:18
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,082 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

'Do most of the stations have an elevator or lift to get the stroller to the trains?' No. Very few central London stations are step free from street to platform, and most have escalators rather than lifts although there may be a combination of both.

Please take the smallest and lightest stroller you can manage. Space is limited on buses and you may need to share it with one or more strollers. If a person who uses a wheelchair needs the space then you'll need to fold your pushchair and find another place for you and your child as those in wheelchairs have first priority.

The Metro in Paris has fewer step free stations, with just nine of 303 stations fully accessible.

BAC
Level Contributor
464 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

Folding stroller will work but know how to raise and lower it quickly as if you hold up a bus queue ...others queuing and in a hurry will become impatient..

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

Do also familiarise yourself with the TfL journey planner.

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/…

It has options to specify your precise accessibility requirements for any journey that you wish to make.

If you haven't booked a hotel yet, you might want to consider staying in the Kings Cross area.

The underground station is step free, and is served by several lines. There is also direct step free access by rail from both Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

The area is served by numerous bus routes, which are useful for any journeys that you wish to make which are not step free on the tube.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Strollers, buses and underground

To clarify what PaulDuncan said in the previous post, It's the Piccadilly underground line from Heathrow and the Thameslink train services from Gatwick which are direct to Kings Cross St Pancras stations.

Reply to: Strollers, buses and underground
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted