We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick hello from London- impressions

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Quick hello from London- impressions

Hello from London. Weather has been chilly, with temps ranging from 5 to 8 c. Think gloves and scarves. However, you can always tell London women as they will be the short skirts and the knee length boots with the spikey heels. I forgot how much skin they like to show. Also in fashion are fur hats(like Russians) and black coats with scarves. I, in my flats and rainproof coat stand out like a sore thumb:)

Of course being March, about half the tourists are high school/college students from around the world and half of those are Americans:) Sometimes, in S. Kensington, it almost feels like home.

As for the exchange rate/costs- My advise is not to think about it:)Prices here cost the same in £'s as they would in dollars. Add to that an exchange rate at $1.94/GBP(my flat is near a currency exchange) and London can be very expensive.

If here for 6 or more days, buy a 7-day Oystercard for £23.00.

After commuting on the DC Metro, riding the Tubes seems quicker(less waiting), except at rush hour, where I've perfected my sardine role. Since the congestion charge extended to Kensington, the buses and traffic travel time seem quicker than before.

At every museum, there must be a minimum of 1-2 school groups there with you, blocking your view:)

Will write more when I return.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,186 Reviews
London, UK
NJ
Level Contributor
596 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

Thanks for the info, where are you staying?

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

Sorry but as a late twenties London woman who came to work today in a knee length skirt, black tights and flat ballet pumps underneath my warm jacket and scarf, I'm somewhat offended by your remarks! Yes there will always be idiots who will wear next to nothing whatever the weather but don't tar us all with the same brush!

Don't forget, London is the fashion capital of the world right now and most of us dress stylishly and practically :)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
manchester uk
Level Contributor
300 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

red pumps are de rigour in sunny manchester right now, with black tights and a smart coat. comfortable yet stylish (though i personally wear my black knee high boots!!)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

haha - My little family of four really stood out in early March. ALL of us were wearing sunglasses, and my 11 y/o was actually wearing a coat with some color (a pale pink).

We must have been screaming "YANKS!"

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,438 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

Its true Heather everyone in London at the moment seems to be in knee-high boots! They are just so much warmer than shoes and its freezing at the moment.!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

Heatherfeather: Nice to read your live trip report. Sorry to hear the temps are so cold.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

Nice to read your first impressions Heatherfeather - thanks for thinking of us lot whilst on holiday! Think we might have a few sunny days on the way with luck:-)

cheers

pc

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

I have to say no one would wear sunglasses here in March!

But I have a pink coat! hehe.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

But it was sunny and 60 degrees when we were there! We had to wear sunglasses!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick hello from London- impressions

Hehe that is quite funny. I can see why though - the weather was pretty nice here a couple of weeks ago.

But I still only wear mine when its about 80 degrees or I'm driving!