We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philly cheese steak

Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Philly cheese steak

Anybody know if there’s anywhere close to Covent Garden/Leicester Square/London Eye kind of areas that sell a decent Philly cheese steak? Thanks in advance. Preferably walking distance from these areas.

33 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philly cheese steak

Google came up with foursquare.com/top-places/london/best-places…

Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philly cheese steak

Google’s top place was MEATplace or something at Covent Garden. I called them and they don’t even sell cheese steaks lol.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philly cheese steak

>>>Google’s top place was MEATplace or something at Covent Garden. I called them and they don’t even sell cheese steaks lol.<<<

That’s weird because it’s on their menu at £8, but I’m not sure I would rely on anything they told me over the phone. It’s little more than a takeaway counter supplemented with a few seats at the covered market (Jubilee Market) in Covent Garden. No telling who might have answered the phone… and I’m surprised anyone answered at all!

Philly cheesesteak hasn’t really caught on over here. Having eaten one in Philadelphia, I understand why ;-) Please note that Cheez Wiz is not classified as a foodstuff over here and is used only for filling gaps in bathroom tiling. The only place I know of in the vicinity of Covent Garden is Christopher’s at 18 Wellington Street but it’s a ‘swanky’ American-styled restaurant and cocktail bar where a Philly cheesesteak will set you back £15.

Not near your desired area, but The Liberty Cheesesteak company claims to be London’s only authentic purveyor. They’re at 6 Lamb Street (Spital Square) on the edge of Spitalfields Market. A full cheesesteak is £8, or £5 for a half.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philly cheese steak

I had one in the US (admittedly, in SF). It’s the worst thing I’ve eaten there - and yes, I’ve had Hershey’s.

Mike

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Philly cheese steak

If you get it with provolone, it's much better. But it's not the authentic original cheese to use on the sandwich.

Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philly cheese steak

Saw the liberty cheese steak on Facebook and looks amazing. Not sure if it’s too far thou as I would Taxi it....

Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philly cheese steak

Also, I looked at the menu of Meat place but couldn’t see cheese steak on it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philly cheese steak

You don't need to get a taxi to Smithfield Market, if you cross over the footbridge on the St Pauls side of the railway bridge near your hotel and go up Villiers Street to Strand then you can get the 11 or 23 bus to Liverpool Street station which is on the other side of Bishopsgate from Smithfield Market.

I posted this key bus routes map on your other post, see …tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/key-bus-routes-in…

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Philly cheese steak

I had one in the US (admittedly, in SF). It’s the worst thing I’ve eaten there

I had grits once, in Tennessee. I sometimes still wake up screaming,

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philly cheese steak

Had one recently in Florida. So that was cheese? The yellowy stuff?

Edited: 21 October 2017, 20:27
Reply to: Philly cheese steak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted