We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about purses / backpacks

NJ
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
question about purses / backpacks

I don't normally take a backpack on vacation as my purse, just a tote bag or larger purse. The reason is that with children they normally end up handing you things as you are out and about, a place to put our passports, camera, map, etc

Those of you that have gone to London with children, or not, do you take a larger purse or tote bag and use that as you are out and about? We are traveling next week and into early April and since the weather can be ever changing I know that we will all be wearing layers and I can see them taking off the lighter jackets if it warms up or while we are indoors at a museum. I imagine we will want to take small umbrellas with us also in case of rain.

So what does everyone usually carry around? I really don't want to be carrying anything heavy

Would a backpack be a good thing to have along for our daytrip to Paris?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about purses / backpacks

I don't use backpacks at all, because I'm not keen on them. When travelling, I have my handbag over one shoulder, and usually take a cloth shoulder bag as well, for a newspaper and bottle of drink, plus my A to Z, maybe a camera and those bits of shopping that do accumulate throughout the day.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about purses / backpacks

I normally take a smaller sling bag. I don't like to sightsee with a purse or tote on my shoulder (kind of like to have my arms free). I like being able to swap the sling bag from my back to my front depending on the situation I'm in. I feel a little more secure in crowds. I purchased one that I really like from ebags.

3. Re: question about purses / backpacks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 22:50
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about purses / backpacks

I carry more of a smaller messenger type bag that slings over my shoulder and fits my umbrella, maps, misc. stuff and small amount of money in a zippered pocket. I would have the kids carry a small backpack that could fit their umbrella, etc. Also, you may want to consider getting them those "instant cameras" they can carry and take pictures with - kids love those!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about purses / backpacks

We are headed to London/Scotland this summer, and I bought my 9 & 7 year old girls smaller-sized backpacks for the trip. I bought them on ebags.com, and the girls really like them. They are fūl - Julz Mini-Backpack. They've got nice cushioned straps, lots of pockets, and though small, will hold enough to be worth carrying.

ebags.com/f_l/…

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about purses / backpacks

I use a great shoulder bag by Travelon. If you go to qvc.com and search for item number F8399 you'll see it. It's large enough to hold my camera, my mapguide, a water bottle, etc... but still lies flat against your body and leaves your hands free.

I have both the black and the brown one. I'm taking the black one with me to London next week and my sister borrowed the brown one and it's in France right now. :o)

HamptonRoads,Virgini...
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about purses / backpacks

To happytraveler2006-On my last trip to the UK I used nylon Totes

brand bags.They weight almost nothing and expand to hold all the

clothes you end up taking off and putting back on as the weather changes.Some use shoulder straps and others wear like back packs.

The best part is how light weight they are empty and they fold up and can fit in your pocket.

NJ
Level Contributor
560 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about purses / backpacks

I don't really want to have everyone carrying a backpack as it is one more thing to make sure doesn't get left behind as we go from attraction to attraction. The kids are definitely old enough to carry them but I don't really think it is necessary for each one of us to have one while sightseeing

I am going to check on all the suggestions everyone listed, thank you

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about purses / backpacks

I have a Hobo brand bag that I carry. The strap is long enough that I can wear it across my body if needed. The bag is micro-fiber so its light weight.

I have a Totes brand nylon bag and folds up into its own pouch.

It for the "bits and pieces that collect".

On travel days when I know I will have to show my passport, I wear my Royal Robbins brand coolmax expedition shirt. Under a jacket it looks like any other blouse but it has a zip pocket and two other bigs pockets that hold a lot.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: question about purses / backpacks

I don't think I'd keep my passport in a backpack. Everything is pretty much replaceable, but a passport is a PitA to lose.