We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mildly confused about the Downlander.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
mildly confused about the Downlander.

Has anyone ever purchased Southern Railway's Downlander tickets?

www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=281

If I'm in London and want to take the train to Brighton, I would want to buy the All Network — as opposed to the South Coast — Downlander ticket, right? I assume that's right since the All Network range includes London Victoria while South Coast does not.

Can someone save me a phone call to the UK and verify this? I nearly just bought non-refundable South Coast tickets...and then second-guessed myself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

yes you are reading it correctly - the All Network range includes London Victoria while South Coast does not; the South Coast ticket only entitles you to travel around the South Coast towns.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

Daysave would be £2.50 cheaper than the All Network Downlander, but it doesn't entitle you to use buses.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

Whew. So glad I didn't waste $40 on the wrong tix.

One more question...the area range on that link in my initial post mentions Victoria but not London Bridge, which is on the network map (http://southernrailway.com/network_map.php) and which is on our Tube line.

Can I, in fact, get the Downlander from London Bridge? I can only assume I can, since London Bridge info is on the map, but I don't know what the different colored lines mean and why that station's not mentioned in the area range for the All Network.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

yes, London Bridge is included in the Southern network.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

>>>Can I, in fact, get the Downlander from London Bridge? I can only assume I can, since London Bridge info is on the map, but I don't know what the different colored lines mean and why that station's not mentioned in the area range for the All Network. <<<

Presumably the ticket only allows you to travel on Southern services so to go to Brighton you would need to go from Victoria. Trains from London Bridge to Brighton are operated by First Capital Connect.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

//yes, London Bridge is included in the Southern network.//

//Trains from London Bridge to Brighton are operated by First Capital Connect.//

I...er...so then...I can...no...can't...wait...

;)

Well, I suppose it doesn't really matter so long as I can get from *somewhere* in London to Brighton with that ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

Direct trains from London Bridge to Brighton are operated by First Capital Connect, so you wouldn't be allowed on these with this ticket.

There are Southern services from London Bridge to East Croydon, and you would then change there to pick up the Brighton train which started from Victoria.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

//Direct trains from London Bridge to Brighton are operated by First Capital Connect, so you wouldn't be allowed on these with this ticket.

There are Southern services from London Bridge to East Croydon, and you would then change there to pick up the Brighton train which started from Victoria.//

Ohhhhh.

So, there are no *direct* trains from London Bridge to Brighton but I can still originate in LB and make it to Brighton on the Downlander.

Thanx so much for clearing that up!

9. Re: mildly confused about the Downlander.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 10:22