We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London (Mayfair) Timeshare

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
London (Mayfair) Timeshare

Has anyone heard of the De Vere Mews timeshare in Mayfair?

Redweek.com has a posting for a rental that we are interested in.

The price is below the average for a 3 bed/2 bath apartment with air conditioning, etc. The gentleman renting it is named Leonard Benajmin. Trying to be very cautious I have asked for his personal information, but feel there must be more necessary information needed than just that in order to be assured that we are not being scammed. There is very little info on the internet re: De Vere Mews.

Any one ever heard of this timeshare or this gentleman?

By the way, he is asking for full payment upfront via western union which makes me suspicious!

Lynne Jones

Chula Vista, CA USA

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London (Mayfair) Timeshare

Full payment by Western Union?

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, very suspicious.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London (Mayfair) Timeshare

Just had a look and $800 (roughly £400) for a week if it sleeps 8 is ridiculously cheap. No genuine landlord would charge that because the longterm rentals there would be 3 or 4 times that anyway.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that this is a definite con. Perhaps it might be better to look elsewhere and maybe pass on any information you have so far to the police.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London (Mayfair) Timeshare

Lynne, have a look at my sticky on flat rental in London, especially this advice from Scotland Yard re: Western Union:

“Whilst it appears that 'the fraudsters' are in London/UK they rarely are. They use the veneer of London/UK to add kudos to their scams. The fraudsters use technology to hide their true whereabouts and identity. All information they have provided about themselves will likely be false.

Payment systems such as Western Union are used because it means there is no fixed location for the individual, and the money can/will be collected anywhere in the world using false identification. Even if the money is collected in the UK, it will be sent out again within minutes. The large number of Western Union / Money Gram outlets causes a problem. There are over a thousand in London alone.

The telephone numbers used are normally Platform numbers (Number starting with 070, or from international calls 004470) These numbers are set up via the Internet with various providers and unfortunately can be answered, again, anywhere in the world. The details given re: setting up these account are, of course, again false."

TECUMSEH
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London (Mayfair) Timeshare

Lynne - theartgirl's info posted from Scotland Yard came as a result of my experience. DO NOT send anyone money via Western Union! Here are the two telephone numbers associated with the person(s) who scammed me: 44 703 184 8961 and 44 704 012 0008.

He has posted rentals on various web sites under the name of Oliver Gaines. They're in nice neighborhoods, large flats (typically), and priced below market.

Please be careful!

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London (Mayfair) Timeshare

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.........I would keep looking. Western Union full-payment upfront is the big red flag.

6. Re: London (Mayfair) Timeshare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 20:16