We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tea for One

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tea for One

I will be in London for a few days in May en route to Greece to visit some of my ex-pat Manhattan friends now living over there who are all busy working during tea time..planning on meeting up with them later in the evening.

Here's the question...in NYC it is not unheard of for a single girl to have tea alone at a hotel (I do it and have been surrounded by others)...not that I care one bit, but would I get a few raised eyebrows if I do that in London?

I know, pretty silly question and did do a search on it and it's all about tea with a group!

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tea for One

I see no reason why anyone would raise eyebrows at that. I often tea on my own in a café.

California
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tea for One

I am curious about this as well...I went to London (solo female) in September and having a formal tea was the only thing I regret not doing. Not so worried about what other might think....more worried about how they would serve for one, if they were to bring me a whole tray of sandwiches and cakes. I love sweets but I can only eat so much and all that food would be such a waste. Do they still bring you one of those tiered trays loaded with goodies if you are just one?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tea for One

Plantlady, yes they do, but in all cases - whether it's tea for one or for eight - you would have 4 small tea sandwiches, a scone, and a small pastry or two per person.

Several TALFers I've met have had tea at the Lanesborough alone and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. And note that if you have a full afternoon tea, you won't want dinner, so think of it as a meal rather than a snack.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tea for One

I always have several teas when I am in London and I see lots of people having tea alone- reading or just enjoying their tea. It shouldn't be any problem to have tea by yourself! Enjoy!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
266 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tea for One

Hi Manhattan1,

I traveled solo to London last year and treated myself to afternoon tea at the Ritz on my last day there. It was a wonderful experience! Like you, I was concerned about dining alone at an elegant restaurant, usually sticking with pubs, cafes, and street vendors instead, but the staff were wonderful and put me immediately at ease. I was seated at a beautiful table near the center of the room (not pushed off into a corner near the kitchen, as often happens in the states), and the service was charming and impeccable.

I received a full tea tray stacked with goodies: 5 finely cut sandwiches, 4 scones and other sweet breads, and about 6 desserts. It was certainly no sad-looking half-filled plate! Here's a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15571118@N00/219275357/

About half-way through my meal I struck up a conversation with two lovely English ladies seated at the table next to mine, and enjoyed chatting with them for quite a while.

Please go... you'll love it!

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tea for One

Professor,

I feel like a voyeur -- I clicked on your photo link, & then proceeded to look at the next several photos, as well. Since you were really only suggesting that mahattan1 look at the "tea for one" service the Ritz serves I feel guilty. I really would like to look thru your other London photos, though -- would you mind? I stopped at the sunken gardens at Kensington Palace which was spectacular!

I know this must seem silly -- call it Italian Catholic guilt!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tea for One

VT_Prof, your photos are spectacular. You're quite the photographer!! :o)

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tea for One

All right, since Kay thought it was all right to look I'm going to go ahead & do the same :)

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tea for One

I rarely take photos and, instead, buy stacks of post cards. Your pictures are better than nearly every post card I have. They're beautiful.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tea for One

Yeah, I didn't ask - I just went ahead and looked. Aren't they great? Wish my pics looked that nice! :o)