We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orbitz failure

Gloucester MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
orbitz failure

A strong word of warning to all about Orbitz service after they have your money. We were in london and had to get to paris by train for a three day booking. We had booked our Paris hotel through Orbitz. Then the Eurostar train closed down for 24 hours due to a fire near the tracks. Naturally everyone flooded to the airlines and they were also sold out. About 18,000 people were out of luck including my wife and me. Naturally since we could not make our connection we needed to speak with Orbitz. Here's the warning------ they don't want to speak to you! Not at all! Their web site is loaded with warnings that favor them and leave you out in the cold. Read them carefully. "We can not guarantee this rate/booking/etc." watch out for that one. "You will incur a 20 minute wait on this number if you call for help". No way - I was willing to wait for the 20 minutes on my $1.49 per minute rented cell but was cut off after 10. When I called back the recording said basically- "due to heavy snow on the east coast" don't call now. Don't call anymore today. Make sure you read their rules-" You will forfeit a day if you cancel before---- you will forfeit the whole thing if you cancel after "etc. Read this carefully. They mean to take your money and if you can't get to a computer to cancel on the internet you are really screwed. I was in a good hotel in London with a concierge that was willing to spend about 15 minutes on his computer accessing the Orbitz website for me. Bottom line ?- I lost three hundred bucks but it could have been a grand if I missed the deadline. They still haven't posted a Mastercard credit for the $500+ refund I have coming. There may be another hassle with them about that. By the way- they did charge my mastercard immediately for the whole amount as soon as I booked the trip. Was this a horrible experience? Nah. Stuff happens. Will I ever book with Orbitz again? No. Why? Because when you call and need help --someone should pick up!

1. Re: orbitz failure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2007, 12:04
Gloucester MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: orbitz failure

Thanks Gaylord.

Good to know the paragraph police are on the job.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: orbitz failure

Your warning could apply to any travel website that wants payment up front. I have not found a hotel/motel price on Orbitz, Travelocity, or Expedia that was worth paying in advance for. Many hotels now promise the lowest rates on their own websites with much more generous cancellation rules.

I find hotels on Orbitz, but I book them some other way.

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: orbitz failure

Good to know you have a sense of humour!

UK
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: orbitz failure

Not sure if all what the OP states is correct.

I have used Orbitz, several times, with no problem at all.

They have numerous customers, course, there will always be the odd time they may get something wrong, but the situation experienced by the OP, could apply to any customer.

If, what took place is correct, I'm sure there would be more exposure about the faults when using Orbitz, there are numerous popular forums out there.

Orbitz, is very popular in the states, I'm sure the Americans would not tolerate a shoddy company, with out the faults being exposed.

It's all about doing research first, prior to using any company, a lesson, I'm sure the OP has learnt from.

Just MHO

Ben

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: orbitz failure

.... of course you were more than happy to book the cheap prices without reading the terms and conditions but then expect full flexibility on their part. You can't have it both ways. If you want full flexibility pay the higher flexible rates for hotels/flights etc.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: orbitz failure

Gosh, nice to know there are such kind and helpful people on this forum these days.

I used to visit this forum often before my last London trip, am considering another trip and though I'd see what people are talking about and find sarcasm and grammar lessons, what a shame.

This used to be a place of friendly people with a sense of humour, I really hope I've just chosen a bad spot to start on.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: orbitz failure

I'm Funny!

Although all you foreigners spell humor wrong!

And don't even get me started on neighborhood or color!

hahaha

Level Contributor
527 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: orbitz failure

I've used Orbitz several times with fantastic, cheaper results -- I shop for the bargains and they occasionally deliver. The statement "we cannot guarantee this rate" gives them leeway because the pricing changes so rapidly, I don't see how that is inappropriate. There are several prompts clearly showing the total price and refund policy before you Send, hardly indicating to me they "mean to take your money" like thieves in the night. I hope I never have a fire/huge snowstorm on my vacation because I know problems will ensue, but the trip insurance I always buy will prevent me from any financial loss.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: orbitz failure

RBB-7, sorry you are having such a bad time.

I use sites like Orbitz, etc. frequently but generally only as a guide.

Usually I book directly with the hotel or airlines. If need be, I want someone easy to find to whom I can complain and get action.