We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

Greetings,

First-time visit to England, and have a loose itinerary planned. Flights are booked as shown below. 2 adults from USA, in our mid-40s. Traveling mid-May 2018. We don't have set in stone things to do, and I tried to put in some easy days so we can enjoy the cities. Please let me know if you think we should increase/decrease time anywhere. Here goes! Thanks!

Day 0 Overnight flight to England from the USA

Day 1 Arrive morning in London, Heathrow (Double-decker bus tour)

Day 2 London (British Museum, London Eye, Big Ben)

Day 3 London (Sherlock Holmes Museum, Buckingham Palace, Imperial War Museum)

Day 4 London (Churchill Museum) >>TRAIN TO PARIS

Day 5 Paris (Louvre, Eiffel Tower/Catacomb Tour)

Day 6 Paris (Notre Dame Cathedral)

Day 7 Paris (Versailles, Molin Rouge)

Day 8 Paris (relax, wander)

Day 9 >>TRAIN TO BRUSSELS (tbd, relax, wander)

Day 10 Brussels (tbd, relax, wander)

Day 11 >>TRAIN TO AMSTERDAM

Day 12 Amsterdam (tbd)

Day 13 Amsterdam (tbd)

Day 14 Flight home to USA

41 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

We did enjoy Brussels, and I wasn't sure we would, after reading so many "it was so-so" comments on the travel fora.

If you are really curious I can go into more detail, but don't want to hijack the thread too much.

I will say that if I had two weeks to spend, I'd just stay in London, or would split it between only two cities-but that may not suit the OP's preferences at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

OP one big issue with your itinerary I must point out: Buckingham Palace is only open during the summer from 21 July-30 September 2018.

london
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

Day 1 Arrive morning in London, Heathrow (Double-decker bus tour)

if you're planning on catching the tube into central london from heathrow then you'll be sitting on that for close to an hour (it's a long journey by tube), so i wouldn't fancy another 1-2 hours sitting on a bus. i would give that a miss. i would probably do things that are very close together: big ben, parliament, buckingham palace and then maybe an evening ride on the London Eye?

Day 2 London (British Museum, London Eye, Big Ben)

if you did big ben and the london eye yesterday then maybe you could fit St Paul's cathedral in here, because it;s not too far from the British Museum

Day 3 London (Sherlock Holmes Museum, Buckingham Palace, Imperial War Museum)

it sounds like you're interested in WW2 because you're also doing the Churchill War Rooms tomorrow, so be advised that the Imperial War Museum doesn't include very much WW2 stuff -- they also own the Churchill War Room and loads of the exhibits are inside the Churchill Museum (inside the War Rooms). but they do have a holocaust exhibition, and a lot about WW1

some okay 3-day itinerary ideas:

https:/…three-days.php

Day 4 London (Churchill Museum) >>TRAIN TO PARIS

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

You are probably a marathon man .STay home and save money for another couple of year and spend more Time relaxant and visiting

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,912 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

>>In fact, I've never met anyone who has had anything positive to say about the place.<<

Hi, there, nice to meet you! I really enjoyed Brussels, especially the Art Nouveau and Art Deco architecture. And the chocolate. And I hadn't expected the costumes on Manneken Pis (some sort of uniform when I was there). And then there's the chocolate.

But, given just two weeks, I too would opt for one week each in London and Paris.

Edited: 07 December 2017, 23:47
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

Jelly: Thanks for pointing that out. I just stumbled on that info myself. Bummed but it means we have time to see other things. Last night we decided to drop Belgium. But then I wake up feeling bummed! Seriously though, given our time frame, visiting 3 cities in less than two weeks is plenty. We are going to save Belgium for another time. :(

We are flying into London and flying out of Amsterdam, so we can't just spend a week in London and a week in Paris.

Edited: 08 December 2017, 14:54
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

aljons: Thanks for the ideas! I posted about the other items like dropping the Eye and Sherlock and a different kind of tour. We are coming from Heathrow so good to know it's an hour ride. I'll dig more into that later.

We are really interested in WWII stuff.

paris london
Level Contributor
4,885 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

If you want to visit Brussels, I would suggest you leave Paris early for a direct train to Brussels (about 80 mins). Leave your luggage at the station and wander around Brussels for a few hours, then return to the station for a direct train to Amsterdam (under 2 hours). This way the only time you lose from your trip is whatever you spend in Brussels, since you have to go through the area to reach Amsterdam from Paris anyway. If you plan carefully you have time to see all of the highlights from outside, and maybe even visit one or two. Then you are in a better position to work out if it's worth a full visit on another trip. As a general point, Brussels appeals most to people with a bit of background in architecture, history and culture, as the aspects of interest in the main sights are not always immediately apparent (same as with WW2 stuff - you need to understand the background to appreciate).

Edited: 08 December 2017, 15:08
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

<<We are really interested in WWII stuff>

Then add an extra day to your stay in London and visit Bletchley Park (Codebreakers, Alan Turing etc). Really good and requires a few hours there. It's an easy 30 or so mins train ride north of London Euston.

Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique

First of all, very jealous of your trip. It looks like you have a solid itinerary. If you are looking for recommendations in Amsterdam I would say:

1. Rent a bike and see the city that way. Amsterdam is really bike friendly and not stressful. There are lanes separated and often protected by medians for bike traffic. Also you can see more and get less tired.

2. There is a great flea market you should see.

https:/…

If you are looking for other things to do in Paris/London here are two links that might be helpful. Definitely do a river tour in one of the cities.

https:/…cruise-tours.html

https:/…

Reply to: Your Expertise Needed - Itinerary Critique
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted