We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

for the hotel I booked. The Club Quarters Trafalgar Square area. Do I stay with it and hope it improves in the next month or do I hang it up and start searching for a new place to stay?

If I change I'd like to go to the Kensington Area so what would you all suggest?

Thanks

India
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

Hi there,

Sorry to know of your plight. I'm writing from India and not familiar with London so don't know about Kensington Area or where it is but I think the German YMCA should be a good place to stay in London.

I'll be going there next month on the 9th of next month but my problem is to find accommodation from 6th to the 9th of April in London (any area as long as I can reach it easily and safely from Heathrow in the evening) and it costs as less as possible - single room with shared bath will do. Could you (or anyone else who sees this) suggest any place?

Deep Inder, india

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

Deep Inder,

Welcome to the forum. May I suggest starting a fresh thread giving as much detail as possible including your budget. That information will hopefully enable people to make a few suggestions.

lrgardener,

Tough decision to make as the location is hard to beat. New hotels often have teething problems but from reading the reviews it does look as if these might be deep seated. Not sure what you are paying and your budget but have you tried the Thistle Charing Cross which is close by and once in a while has reasonable deals?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

The problem with reviews is that it's hard to know if the reviewers are coming from the same place as you. Having read these new reviews, I think I would think that most of them were minor annoyances, but much would depend on how much I'd actually paid for the room. Cleanliness and overcharging are my particular bugbears: whether the room has a view or not would be irrelevant. I assume that most of the day you'll be out and about anyway, so construction noises shouldn't be an issue. Admittedly, it does seem to be having teething problems, but on the plus side the reviews seem to indicate that those problems get resolved fast.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

The problems seem to be fairly minor - eg, no "Do Not Disturb" tag for the room, isn't really something I would lose sleep over.. Considering the location and the introductory rates, I think you would be hard pushed to find better at the same rate.

However, it depends on whether you are spending all day in the room or just using it to sleep.

London, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

I have not stayed, but been to a function at this place. Very impressive, traditional plcae. Why oh why would you want to stay in Kensington - a residential area where everything you will want as a tourist is either a cab or tube ride away - when you could stay in the centre of London, walking distance to galleries, restaurants, theatres, Buckingham Palace and the shopping streets like Regent Street. As a Londoner I say stick to this one - especially if you are getting a good rate.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

Yes, I did get a good rate and now I see the rate is even lower on Londontown.com - I booked a stuio room with a kitchette figuring if we get food at M&S we'll have a place to keep our food and drinks cold - I think I will keep our current reservation. It is only a place to sleep I guess!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

Why don't you look at it this way--do I really want to go through the stress of starting all over looking for accommodations? If you're going to read the reviews, use them to prepare yourself mentally for the inevitable imperfections that will occur no matter where you stay.

There are pros and cons to every hotel; it's a matter of which ones you can live with and which ones you can't. You might be giving up more than you gain by switching to another place, and then what will you do if bad reviews start coming in about THAT place? The reviewers DID say a LOT of nice things about the location, the value, and let's face it, the beds are brand new.

Having read the reviews, here's notes I'd make to myself if I were in your shoes:

-check the room out carefully when I first get there to make sure it is acceptable, if not, raise issues immediately

-don't wait for the lifts when going to breakfast, take the stairs

-bring my own tea bags

-get out of the hotel early and enjoy London

Lancashire
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

Hello, we stayed at this hotel in February ( I wrote the first review). If I were you I would stick with your booking. We've visited London a number of times over the years and never stayed anywhere where the location is so good. We had no problems with noise when we stayed. If it's really, really important to you to have a bath (rather than just a shower) and you mind about your room being not terribly big, you might want to check up about these first and see what you're being offered - otherwise go for it. Hope you enjoy your stay.

New Yorker
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

We've been staying at The Grand and Club Quarters on a 2+ week business trip. Its location is perfect. Hotel is less than perfect and we would not stay there again. Smoking and non-smoking rooms are mixed so that there are times you can't avoid smoke in the very narrow hallways while walking to and from your room. Elevators are not large enough to accommodate more than 2 guests with carry-on luggage, let alone anything larger, and break down often. Reception area is tiny and you must wade through many people and their lugguge to get out to the front door. Many items are not maintained and left in disrepair for days. Saturday morning the fire alarm ran at 2:00am and there was no one on hand to take charge of the situation. One porter (easily identifiable in his vest and striped shirt), was stationed at the reception desk with a phone receiver in both ears while the walkie-talkie was spewing something at him as well. No one was available to direct guests, let alone answer the telephone and it was left ringing. There was no response by the fire department, yet the alarm continued to ring and elevators and doors were inoperable (in fact, two of the three front doors to the hotel remained LOCKED the entire time! Guests straggled down to the reception area, but there were no annoucements, automated or otherwise. It felt unsafe. Guest were asking other guest what was happening, but no one had answers. Finally, after we stood around for 30 minutes, the porter looked up from this telephones and said very quietly that there was no fire. We happened to be standing next to the front desk so we heard him and climbed back up the nine floors to our room along with a couple of other people. Others, who were not standing nearby probably stood around much longer. Manager was nowhere in sight then or on site for much of our stay. Whenever we passed by the front desk, we could hear people complaining to the staff. There are so many things to complain about, but we will not be returning because we do not feel that the hotel is equipped in any way to handle an emergency. As the gentleman who climbed back upstairs with us said, "Just imagine what would have happened had there been a fire!"

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help not sure what do do - reviews coming in aren't good

Luckily, lightning never strikes twice, Seriously, though, the original post is so old that lrgardener has probably already been to London and back without being incinerated.