We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Controls in Ireland

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Border Controls in Ireland

Hi guys.

Yes, I know, I'm ignorant, hence asking this question, but are there any border controls between Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland these days? I'm only curious, as my boyfriend & I are about to head on a driving trip around Ireland, & will be crossing the border on multiple occasions as we drive like lost tourists around the place.

Thanks,

Toni :)

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

No there aren't. Google the Common Travel Area.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

About the only things you will notice is a sign telling you that speed limits are now mph/kph and the fact that the road signs and markings have changed.

If in your own car and have UK breakdown cover check conditions for the Republic where it may be less/not valid. It would also be prudent to check your insurance is valid there. If you do not have an EU number plate you should show a GB plate in Ireland.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

Sweet! Thanks guys!

I think we have everything sorted out for the car (all the documentation & stuff we are meant to have) as it is a work vehicle, so we had to apply for all kinds of things anyway. It's still insured there as well, & roadside assistance is valid since we have applied for all the correct stuff. Thanks for the reminder though - it is something that people often forget about.

It's good to know that driving around Ireland should be pretty easy & hassle-free. We are really looking forward to our visit!

Cheers again,

Toni xxxxx

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

Toni,

"driving around Ireland should be pretty easy & hassle-free"

Nobody said that!

Irish direction signing is atrocious and what does exist is often camouflaged by signs to B&Bs. Some roads are in excellent nick, but many have terrible surfaces. You are likely to find unfinished roadworks all over the place. And beware, in rural areas, the elderly driver who never took a test and who will freeze when approaching you on a single track road; no matter how wide it may be where you have chosen to stop you will have to go ahead and squeeze past them. Oh, and watch out for shoulders with obstructions in them or which end without warning.

Michael

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

I was there about 5 years ago. The thing I noticed near the border was the derelict petrol stations in "the North". The petrol was so cheaper in the Republic, everyone just drove over and bought there.

Don't know if its still the same, but worth finding out.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

PS. You might get more information by posting on an Irish branch!

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

hey just thought id comment on the petrol station thingy...

its not just as bad nowadays... tesco and asda etc have kind of brought petrol stations back, and the euro is much stronger than the punt ever was so you dont get an awful lot more for ur money by going over the border!!

Im from N.Ireland but live on the donegal border so if you've any questions pm away and ill try to help!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

Thanks for all your help!

We had a great time, especially using the gas card from my boyfriends work (incredibly we even got permission!). We could only use it in ROI though, not NI, so that might be something to also think about if you reply on these kinds of things :)

And we mainly stuck to fairly main roads, even if they were sometimes just one lane. We didn't have any problems at all with the roads or signage. But the traffic - man oh man, that will teach us for going away in Easter :) But we are from small-town New Zealand, so the lack of road sealing/sheep all over the place/slow drivers didn't really impact the way it might on some other people.

Cheers guys :)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

There are no border controls between the Republic of Ireland and anywhere in the UK (even Stansted)

10. Re: Border Controls in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 13:17