We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick oyster card question...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston,ma
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
quick oyster card question...

I will be arriving at heathrow with 11 year old and staying at hol. inn kensington. I am going to purchase an oyster card with 7 day travel card for myself. I plan to use "kid for quid" daily ticket for my 11 year old. If I load extra money on my oyster card, can that be used to cover cost of ride for both of us to hotel from airport or do I have to purchase separate pass for 11 year old for that trip and how much will it cost?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: quick oyster card question...

The first reply on this thread suggests you need to buy a seperate Travelcard for each day for your child.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k10945…

boston,ma
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick oyster card question...

thanks, I read that post but am still not sure how and what I pay for my 11 year old to ride tube from heathrow to hotel. Is that covered under the kid for quid deal or is it extra?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: quick oyster card question...

If you are putting a zone 1-6 travelcard on the Oyster then you will need to buy a separate £1 child ticket for each day you travel. It will cover the journey from Heathrow if that's the first day.

If you are putting a zone 1-2 travelcard plus PAYG on the Oyster then it will only cover you. You'll need to buy a separate child one way ticket to zone 2, price £1.50. Once you get there the £1 child ticket can be used

At least I think so - child fares in London are totally confusing.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quick oyster card question...

The only people who really seem to understand it all and will give you the best option are the people at the ticket counter. Buy your Oyster and say you have an 11 year old with you. What does he/she need to get from Heathrow to zone 1-2? They invariably come up with the best and cheapest option. There is usually a bit of a queue at the tube ticket windows at the airport precisely because people are asking questions. You wait for others and others wait for you.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quick oyster card question...

You don't need to buy a zones 1 - 6 Travelcard at all, but should add a bit of PAYG money for the trip from LHR to Kensington.

You will need to get a one day, all zone, off peak (travel after 0930 on weekdays or any time at weekends or public holidays) Travelcard every day for your 11 year old - with your Travelcard (plus receipt, showing that it is a Travelcard) you'll have no problem getting this at the station or at shops with a Ticket Stop TfL sign in the window.

The one day card will be a paper ticket, which needs to be put through the reader in the gates at Tube stations, but your child should simply show the card to the driver on buses.

6. Re: quick oyster card question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 23:20