We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tower of London

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tower of London

I am planning my trip to London and keep wondering if Tower of London is too boring for an 8-year old boy and a wife who does not really care for history (into culture food/clothes/lives but not history). And since I don't have much time in London, I need to see if Tower of London worth the whole morning. Besides, if not Tower of London, what other museum/place (beside Science Museum/Museum of Natural History/British Museum) can I take him to see?

Thanks y'all

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,675 Reviews
from US$123.20*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,250 Reviews
from US$125.90*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from US$103.10*
23 replies to this topic
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tower of London

I suppose the obvious question is what does your boy enjoy?. The London transport museum is well worth a look around, with lots of interactive things. Tower bridge experience is good, to see how Tower bridge works. Also London Zoo, one of the best Zoo's in the world is worth a visit.? Or HMS Belfast a former Royal Navy ship.

In terms of the Tower of London, the crown jewels are amazing, and a lovely old building, plus getting to see the Beefeaters has got to be good.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tower of London

Your wife could go shopping whilst you and the boy tour the Tower.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tower of London

I would have thought that the Tower of London would appeal to an eight year old.

The London Transport Musuem is another good option, and if you have time, so is going down to Greenwich (on a riverboat if you like) to the National Maritime Museum/Cutty Sark/Royal Observatory.

philpeg1969
Level Contributor
426 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tower of London

My Wife and I visited the tower of London and we are both not really into museums ETC but i must say it was well worth a visit and pleased we done it. Seeing the crown Jewels for the first time was a great experience and very pleased i have seem them. You could easily spend a full 1/2 - full day there. I am sure your 8 year old and wife would enjoy it.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tower of London

I remember the first time I went to the Tower when I was 9. It was lot of fun because there are so many stairs to climb and walls to walk on. Plus I loved all the "horses" (they're statues) and armour. However, there is no point paying the entrance fee if your family has no interest in it. You don't have to visit somewhere just because it is popular.

HMS Belfast is just across the river from the Tower. Do you think your son would enjoy that, an enormous battle ship? Or go on a boat tour down the Thames maybe?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tower of London

I would expect any eight year old would love the Tower of London as it's like an adventure land for them, with lots of places to investigate and funny people dressed in costumes.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tower of London

Most 8 year old boys are fascinated by tales of beheadings, treason, murder, ghosts, treasure and weapons, and the Tower has all of those.

Send the wife shopping.

P.S. history is about culture and "lives" so not sure I understand your distinction.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tower of London

Oh, forgot the spies and Nazi POWs - expect he'll be interested in those too.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,280 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tower of London

Museum of LOndon is good for kids.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,697 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tower of London

I haven't met one person yet who thought that a tour around The Tower was boring. Have a look on YouTube and you might get an idea.

The British Museum is wonderful too, but I would stick with the History and Science Museums (in the same street) which will take up most of the day and it is not then far to Knightsbridge for crowded shopping - which might please everyone. There are lovely parks nearby there too.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 09:59
Reply to: Tower of London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted