We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

huntington beach
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

I am traveling from Stratford Upon Avon to Renaissance Chancery Court London Hotel near the Holborn Station on Good Friday April 6th. I already have a rental car. But, I just decided I would rather enjoy the ride...haha! What is the easiest, cheapest way to travel? I went on the National Rail Enquiries website. I have no idea what our destination station should be? And, I am traveling with my 62 year old husband and 16 year old daughter. Would I just buy 3 regular adult tickets? Should I buy tickets in advanced (are they cheaper and do they sell out)? Anything else I should know because it is a holiday and I am generally clueless??

Your advise is ALWAYS appreciated! Thanks!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Greater London...
Level Contributor
128 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

The direct service from London to Stratford upon Avon departs from London Marylebone station, the smallest and quietest of all of London's main line terminals. The journey takes just over 2 hours. The operator is the Chiltern Railway Company. I suggest that you check out the timings and the fares on their website (www.chilternrailway.co.uk).

The route is quite a pretty one. Because it does not have a heavy business trade (other than commuters travelling back and forth from their homes in the country and the suburbs to their workplaces in London and Birmingham), the trains are not the most luxurious that you will ever encounter and only have standard class accommodation.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
128 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

whatakik - Sorry, but I've misled you. The website for the Chiltern Railway Company is 'www.chilternrailways.co.uk' If you leave off the 's' from 'chilternrailways' you will access a difterent business's website!

huntington beach
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

Thanks so much for your response. I did check Chiltern Railways and they don't have a train until almost noon. The price was very reasonable. And it is nice to know they are good, clean trains. I really wanted to get into London at an earlier time. On the other hand...I am not sure how the shopping will be in London because of the holiday? My daughter can't wait to go vintage shopping at the markets. Will these be open?

Thanks!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

>>>I did check Chiltern Railways and they don't have a train until almost noon<<<

I don't quite know how you got that answer but according to this bank holiday timetable...

chilternrailways.co.uk/uploads/…423.pdf

... they have direct trains to London at 0736, 0941, 1140, 1339.

If you have a UK mobile number then you can sign up for the tickets by text service and get them for £5 each way sent to you phone.

And to dispute what an earlier poster said, the trains are actually much nicer than the majority of UK trains.

huntington beach
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

Thanks for the schedule. The 9:41 am looks perfect. Are you serious about 5 pounds for the fare??? We are staying with friends in Stratford...can the tickets go to their phone number. Or, how about email? Can I book by the internet?

Also, where would we disembark in we are near the Holborn tube station in London. We are staying at the Renaissance Chancery Court Hotel?

Thanks for your replies!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

You can indeed book rail tickets on line (and should do so as far in advance as you can). You'll need a UK address and post code to sign in for booking, but you can simply use your friend's address for that. There is usually an option to use the UK address given or another address for payment - this latter must be the same as your credit card's billing address. It's not too complicated to book using the two addresses, honest.

From Marylebone, you could take the Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus and change to a Central line train to Holborn, but Oxford Circus is a busy station at most times, and changing there with baggage might not be pleasant. Although it'll cost a bit more, a taxi from Marylebone to the hotel is by far the easiest way to get from point to point.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

It is possible to book over the internet and print out the tickets for £5 but you must do it a week in advance so that out for you. The text £5 tickets go to the phone and the phone has to be shown to the conductor and at the gate at Marylebone so your friend would have to give you their phone.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

You disembark at Euston. (where the train stops)

You then get tube or taxi to Holborn.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

Joeintheuk you said 'You disembark at Euston (where the train stops).

I'm sorry but this is wrong and will only confuse the OP. As previous posters have already explained, the trains from Stratford -upon -Avon to London terminate at Marylebone Station. They do not run into Euston.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just decided to book a train from Stratford to London. Help!

What Joe maybe talking about is you do have the option of travelling from Stratford to Birmingham (Central trains)..change trains then Virgin down to Euston. That way the OP would have a bigger range to choose from (if time wasn't an issue).