We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day tour to Windsor

Southern California
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Half day tour to Windsor

Can anyone recommend a good 1/2 day tour to Windsor and maybe Hampton Castle? I would like a guided one.

Thanks,

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

You can certainly do Windsor on your own from London - catch the train at Paddington with a change at Slough - the view coming up to the castle is spectacular. From there it is a short walk to the entrance and your tour begins. Try not to go on a Sunday as St. Georges Chapel is closed for Sunday services. You can also reach Hampton Court by train or even take the cruise down the river Thames!

If you want a tour, try Premium, Golden, Evans or Astal tour companies. Visit www.londontown.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
944 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

I agree with LondonLady.

Windsor is a lovely town and easy to get around. The castle, is well, the castle, and with the audio tour, you really get a lot out of it.

Honestly I wouldn't spend the extra £'s on a guided tour.

Southern California
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

Thank you. I am staying at the Strand Hotel. How do I get to Paddington Station from there?

Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

I'd hop on the Tube to Paddington Station, I think you can get there direct from Charing Cross Station which I think is closeish to your hotel, but someone more knowledgeable can correct me.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

Strand Palace Hotel? If so, two nearby Tube possibilities, probably a 15-20 minute ride barring delays:

--From Charing Cross station, Bakerloo (brown) line to Paddington

--From Embankment station, Circle (yellow) line to Paddington or Bakerloo to Paddington

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

I wouldn't recommend the Thames cruise to Hampton Court. We took the trip a few years ago and it took about 4 hours to get there! So we had very little time to explore Hampton Court Palace.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

You can do both independently and easily yourself, and both provide self guided audio tours, so its hard to see what value a guided tour would provide except a very expensive transport option.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

To reach Hampton Court, take the train from Waterloo to the Hampton Court station. The trip will take approximately 30 minutes. When you exit the station you will see the Palace on the other side of the Thames. Just walk across the bridge and you're there.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

I think audio vs. guided tours are really aout the individual and the place...I love taking the audio tour through the National Gallery--sort of just get lost in space there and do my thing. Personally, I'd opt, at least going this first time in June, for the guided tour of Windsor. If we're fortunate and get a good guide, for me, the personalization found in a tour is invaluable, as are the anecdotes and the ability to have questions answered on the spot by an 'expert'. So CATravel Geek, don't be disuaded from taking the guided tour. When are you going? I'm off to WIndsor the first week of June--I'll let you know how it goes! Kate

Southern California
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Half day tour to Windsor

Thank you for all of your responses. I am going the 2nd week in May. I see everyones point about going on the train. I am still thinking about it. I am just a big baby and not sure if I want to go on the train by myself. There is only one travel company that will do a tour on a Monday and that is the Premier Tour Company. Anyone had any experience with them?