We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal on flight - stupid question

Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Meal on flight - stupid question

It's been about 7 years since I was on a transatlantic flight (I fly domestically a lot), is USAirways charging you for meals on the flight now? I'm flying Philly to Gatwick and was wondering if I should be prepared to pay for dinner or if the meal is "free". My itinerary says "Dinner" but I don't know if that means I'm supposed to pay for it. I'm flying coach, I'm pretty sure it would be included if I was lucky enough to fly Business or First.

Sorry for the stupid question, I tried google but only seemed to come up 3 year old articles about when they started charging for domestic in-flight meals.

Thanks!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

Hi

If your itinerary says 'dinner' then it's pretty safe to assume that's included in the price even if it's coach class.

Over here the itinerary will state 'food to purchase' or something like that if it's not included in the ticket price.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

Check http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexMeals.html for photos of other people's meals

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

same thing here - if meal isn't included - it says food for purchase. Most of the airlines on the longer flights still include meals - on transatlantic you will have a dinner and then a light breakfast meal shortly before arrival in London.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

Sadly, I travel USair all the time, and yes, dinner is included in the price you pay. It's not great, but it's adequate. You will pay, however, for alcoholic drinks and headphones. Coming from the US, you will get dinner and then a "sort-of" breakfast: normally something called a buttermilk donut - not the nicest thing I've ever tasted. The dinner, incidentally, is normally some kind of chicken dish, or pasta.

Jennifer

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

Yes, the meals are free.......the dinner is adeuate, nothing special, the breakfast is barely adequate, very definitely not special...this can be said for any of the airlines on their trans Atlantic routes unless you are flying Business or First.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

Go to a store at the airport and get yourself a gourmet sandwich made up...you will enjoy it much more and unlike the airline meal would have been made that day (and not last year). :)p

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

Quote: 'sort -of -breakfast (jenniferpa') We always refer to these indeterminate meals served on long haul (could be breakfast to you, lunch to someone else and dinner to the bloke next door depending on which time zone everyone's body clock is on) as MTEs - Meal Type Events. Do I normally eat a 3 course meal at my body clock's equivalent of 4am? Only thru' flight boredom - the sandwich option increasingly offered seems a good idea as everything tastes of nothing whilst flying (IMHO)

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

You can order a special meal if you give enough notice - I have ordered the vegetarian options in the past and they are very good. They also have diabetic, kosher, etc options. The other good thing is those special meals are delivered first, so you don't have to wait for the flight attendant to make her way down the line!!!!

9. Re: Meal on flight - stupid question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 19:19