We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Thornbury Castle

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Thornbury Castle

Hi. I will be in London In July for my wedding. We will stay in London for 2 days then travel to Thornbury Castle. I was hoping to find a luxury car to take us to the castle that can make a few stops on the way to see some things. Do you know of a company that will do this? What would you recommend to see along the way? Thank you

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,669 Reviews
from US$123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,248 Reviews
from US$125.80*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
747 Reviews
from US$103.10*
7 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Thornbury Castle

For those, like me, who had to Google this, Thornbury Castle appears to be in Bristol.

Would you be open to a (non luxury) train to Bristol from London? I would think the train would be faster than a journey by road.

Otherwise, perhaps the staff at Thornbury Castle could suggest a local-to-them company.

If money is no object, I'd hire a Blue Badge guide for the day. I'm not sure where to find one who would pick you up in London and provide transportation; however, someone here may know.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Thornbury Castle

What is your budget for such a car and how long do you have to do this trip? I ask as this isn't going to be cheap and could take a long time without stopping if you hit the M4 wrong.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,662 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Thornbury Castle

Thornbury Castle isn't in Bristol, it's 15 miles away in Gloucestershire. The route from London is via the M4 and A38, nothing to stop for except service stations. If you are going to make a whole day of it you could do a detour to a pretty Cotswold village like Castle Combe or even into Bath. I have no idea about luxury cars, google should help. Or ask the hotel, they are used to rich Americans wanting this kind of thing.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Thornbury Castle

It's often thought better to get a car based in the destination you are going to - the Castle can certainly suggest one or you could try the Bristol forum. The point is that Heathrow is to the West of London and your destination is further west . Plus London is always more expensive.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Thornbury Castle

Please clarify your start point.

Title says 'Airport' but doesn't specify which one.

Message says 'in London' , which is a massive place, and there are no airports actually 'in' London.

Anyway, an Interesting road route is easy to suggest: come off the M4 motorway near Reading and travel via Avebury, Lacock, Castle Combe and Chipping Sodbury. The driving time alone will be about 4 hours. You'll have to research what's there to see how much time you might want to spend in each place.

A car service can be booked to take you anywhere you want to go, at a price , and in any style, at a price, and to wait for you, at a price. If you end up hiring the driver for most of the day, the company might need to cover his overnight accommodation in the price too.

I've never used any such car service but Blackberry Cars and Parkers are much mentioned as reliable services on these Forums, so I would start there.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Thornbury Castle

Contact Meridian Cars, we were impressed when we used them.

http://www.meridiancarsnewbury.co.uk

United States
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Thornbury Castle

Mea culpa. When I Googled, I got an address in Bristol, and did not look further. That was sloppy research on my part and I apologize.

Reply to: Airport to Thornbury Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted