We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

Agoura Hills, CA
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

We are traveling with our 14 year old twins in August. We will be in London for 6 nights. I am considering getting a 7 day Travelcard for Zones 1 and 2, but I read that children age 14 and 15 are free on buses and trams anyway. Also that the Oyster card gives a discount for kids this age.

Do I need to get them a 7 day Travelcard or just a pay as you go Oyster card, since they are free on buses and etc.? Do they need a picture card too?

Help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

Travelcards for adults are always a good choice, esp since you'll get good value from the seven day card - which will be sold to you as an Oyster card.

The photocard question is headache-inducing, though. Since TfL's info claims that your twins will travel free on the buses with the Oyster photocard, you should get one - but then the bumph explains that the card must be applied for by post, taking several weeks to process. Durr.

In the end - and this just might be worth it - your two can get one day off peak all zone Travelcards for just £1, as long as they are bought by an adult who carries a valid Travelcard. Granted, this means going to the station or Ticket Stop (shops which sell Travelcards will have the TfL roundel in the window indicating you can buy tickets there) and getting two Travelcards every day, but it does eliminate questions about the twins' age and eligibility for free travel. And a pound each for unlimited travel is a bargain.

Agoura Hills, CA
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

Thank you so much. It is a little confusing. We will get the Travelcard for us adults and an Oyster photocard for the kids. Then I guess it would be most reasonable to get the 1pound pass for the kids each day. We will probably not use the tube everyday. Also does it only apply to off peak hours? After 9:30am.?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

The Kids For A Quid one day Travelcards don't require an Oyster photocard - no need to have the aggro of applying for one, just buy the Travelcard and go. You may want to take a photocopy of their passport face pages, in case proof of age is required.

Off peak travel starts at 0931 on weekdays and at any time weekends or on public holidays.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

The free bus travel isn't really aimed at short term visits - it was meant for London school children to be able to get around easliy (and commute across boroughs to schools without burdening parents with the cost) Let's not get into the politics of that one, but with two children benefitting I say hurrah! That's why I think it's not publicised or made particularly easy to do for a visitor. I had to go to the post office with my eldest and her passport to get hers and will have to do the same for the younger one soon.If you feel like letting them do some travel on their own, they can buy a one day travel card for £2 (they may be asked for proof of age). My 15 year old has been bouncing around London on the tube and rail (from Zone 6 into the centre and all over the place) all day on one.

Agoura Hills, CA
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

Great! Thank you. The photocard sounds like a hassle. I am glad we will not need one. I think we will not need to take a bus anyway. I will remember to take a copy of their passports to show for the tube. The tfl website is very confusing.

Thanks again.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

The travelcard includes the bus and it can be so useful to hop on and off for some journeys without the hassle of going down into the tube, so you will have the choice anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

Buses - you may find yourself on one or two, or several a day. They are once again plentiful on London streets, and can be as quick as the Tube, without the faffing around of going down to the platform, waiting for the train, then hiking up to street level again.

Two heritage routes still offer the classic London red bus with the open platform at the back and a conductor - the Routemasters. These operate on the number 9 from the Albert Hall to Aldwych and on the number 15 from Trafalgar Square to the Tower of London. Travelcards are accepted, and they operate as any other buses. Routemasters have been a major part of London bus history, and they're worth using, not only for the pleasure of riding on a bus where you can* jump on and off between stops and climb the narrowest staircase found on a vehicle - they're wonderful.

*can -- but perhaps shouldn't, although some of us do..........

Your Travelcards are good for use on the DLR as well, should you wish to go to Greenwich, for example.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

I miss the Routemasters, TravellerPlus - took years of training to make that late leap on with almost a spin around the pole or the quick hop off at the lights . The best conductors always helped making last minute mounts to the platform- I miss conductors too, so much safer and civilised. Must stop as I feel a rant coming on.

Agoura Hills, CA
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

So the kids can travel on the bus without the photocard if we adults have the Travelcard? Just checking.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelcard for Kids age 14 or Oyster, Help?

Hi Iluvtwins

as long as the children are travelling with you and your travelcard they are free (under 11) and travel for £1 (over 11 years) as far as I am aware. If the Children want to travel independent of you, they will need tickets/travelcards of their own.

At 14 they might want to go about on their own a bit, and no reason at that age why they should not be able to cope with navigaging the busses and tube.

EW