We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Local Food

Level Contributor
303 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic Local Food

Hello,

This will be my first time to England. When I travel, I like to eat the native food of the country (i.e. fish tacos in San Diego or crepes in Paris).

Can you please tell me what the popular English meals are, and where we can go to get such meals?

We have a small budget so I'm looking for local fast-food places with great food.

I'm looking for places in Central London and close to the major attractions.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Nancy

Lost on Earth
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic Local Food

As you posted under the London forum I suppose you are asking about food there.

Here is web site that gives you details of pubs. Most pubs will do food.

http://www.pubs.com/

As to what is the most popular, it is said that curry’s have overtaken the British palate and they are the most popular dishes eaten by the locals. To eat a good curry go to a curry restaurant.

British food is now very international, and therefore hard to define.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic Local Food

The most popular meal in England is chicken tikka masala. This is a variation of the Indian dishes Chicken Tikka and Chicken Masala. It is a dish devised for the English tastes and won't be found in India or any "authentic" India restaurants in England/

There are not really any English native dishes, but there are regional dishes - Cornish Pasties, Bakewell Tarts, pork pies, pie and mash, jellied eels, black pudding and haggis in Scotland. The list is almost endless.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic Local Food

Hi Nancy

London is indeed very cosmopolitan and you will find foods from all over the world. Notable recent additions would be Polish and Brazilian restaurants.

For authentic 'London' food, I would suggest Kelly's Pie and Mash in Bethnal Green Road or Tubby Isaacs at the bottom end of Middlesex Street.

Pie and mash is a miced meat pie with mashed potatoes and liquer which is a parsley based green gravy. Best served with chilli vinegar and pepper, pie, mash and liquer will set you back a couple of Pounds. Don't expect tablecloths or waitress service though.

Tubby Isaacs is a Shellfish Stall selling cockles, winkles, whelks, jellied eels, mussels, shrimps and other crustacea cheaply.

There is also the more pan-British staple of fish and chips available all over London.

Enjoy!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic Local Food

Nancy,

There are two different categories of food: Traditional & Local. As cath123 stated local food now is very international. In fact, in London you will find the widest and best selection of international food (probably in the world).

Now for the other list: Traditional......full English breakfast, fish & chips, steak & ale pie, bangers & mash, roast beef & yorkshire pudding. You will find the most traditional food at the local pubs.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic Local Food

HI NancyToronto

"Crytal" has been asking about the iconic dish of Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding all over the forums - London, Oxford, Oakham and Stratford-on-Avon, here is a link to one of them:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k11169…

you must also consider Fish and Chips, and once upon a time Oysters used to be the staple diet of most Londoners - although they are costly now!

EW

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic Local Food

Fish and chips is the best-known trad fast food - do a search on the forum for the best chippies as it's discussed a lot.

Otherwise look for caffs that sell all-day breakfasts & specials for under five pounds. www.classiccafes.com is a good place to start.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic Local Food

Nancy, i would recommend you consider two decent restaurants serving modern classic british food.

1.Roast (easy to get to - south side of London Bridge)

http://www.roast-restaurant.com/borough3.cfm

2.Canteen (easy to get to - near Liverpool St Tube)

http://www.canteen.co.uk/

And for more traditional british food;

1. Porters in Covent Gardent.

http://www.porters.uk.com/

2. Bumbles in Buckingham Palace Road, nr Victoria Stn

http://www.bumbles1950.com/home.html

Level Contributor
303 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic Local Food

Thank you everyone! I now have a list of many meals I want to taste! They all sound so delicious.

I'm trying to have a list of budget places to eat plotted onto my central London map, before we leave.

I need as many places as possible to plot onto my list, so would you have any other recommendations on the best budget places to eat:

Pie and mash

Bangers and mash * question: what are “bangers”?

Fish and chips

Steak and ale pie

Thanks again.

Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic Local Food

Bangers are sausages.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor