We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King's Cross area

Valletta, Malta
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
King's Cross area

My sister and I will be arriving in London Luton on 2nd May at 23:45. We're staying at the Alhambra Hotel near King's Cross station. We wanted to know how to get to the hotel at that time (the cheapest way) and whether it is easy and safe to walk to the hotel at that time.

Also, how safe is the area in general? I've had mixed opinion from different people and I'm open to a third opinion.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: King's Cross area

You need to take the free shuttle bus to Luton Parkway station. From there trains are every hour at 6 minutes past the hour. So you should easily catch the 01:06 which arrives at Kings Cross Thames Link Station at 01:52. Then it is a short walk to your hotel. As easy as it appears on their web site

http://www.alhambrahotel.com/location.html

The area around there should be quiet that time of night and very safe. It has a lot of CCTV which keep the undesirables away these days.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: King's Cross area

Your hotel is about a 10 minute walk from King's Cross station.

I wouldn't want to be a woman walking there alone at night ( I don't walk alone anywhere at night anymore though) but as you will be with a companion you should have nothing to worry about.

Walking is your only reasonable option as it's so close.

The area is more or less as safe as any other area, not more, not less.

It's an 'up and coming' area with a diversity of inhabitants and passers through and tourists.

To get a better idea of where your hotel is, or anywhere else for that matter, enter the postal code into http://www.multimap.com/ and you will get a little map you can print out and carry with you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: King's Cross area

The hotel is quite near King's Cross, and the roads are fairly well lit in the area. Simply walk along the Euston Road on the side across from King's Cross station, and you'll see Argyle Street on the left, just as you pass the station.

There are a few fast food places and a couple of 24 hour convenience stores open there, and you may see a few people around after 0100.

On the whole, I would walk there late at night, and with two of you there should be no problem at all. The neighbourhood has had a lot of bad press, but it's changing for the better, and a lot of residents take pride in the area. I like it - I hope you do too.