We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter

winnipeg
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Harry Potter

My daughter and I will be in London in July when the next Harry Potter

book comes out ( July 21 ) and she would love to buy the UK edition while we're there instead of waiting until we get home to Canada to get a copy of the book.

My question is where should we go to buy the book and not get mobbed by overzealous HP fans ?? Thanks in advance!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harry Potter

Any bookstore (or many large supermarkets) the day its issued, you wont be able to miss it

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harry Potter

If you arrive a few days before you could still do a pre order at any bookstore and then collect it on the day itself. :)

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harry Potter

A lot of shops try to push the pre-order - but there is never a shortage (they know how huge it's going to be) and you could find yourself clutching a pre-ordered copy, cursing the cut-price down the street. The 'mobbing' takes place when a few shops open extra early for the occasion (makes good TV images and some triumphant schoolchildren can lord it over their friends) but stay in bed and then go to a normal bookshop or Woolworths or supermarket and you will be fine.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harry Potter

Thanks for your responses.

One more question......would it be better to go to Waterstones or

WHSmith OR go to Sainsburys or Tesco to purchase

the book?

We're staying near Marble Arch. It's been a lot of years since I've been

to London and I'm so excited to be going back and introducing my daughter to one of the greatest cities in the world!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harry Potter

The pre-ordered books are already on offer at half the cover price of the book. Which probably only proves that the cover price of the book bears no relationship to the real production costs and profits to be made out of the books.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harry Potter

J K Rowling will be doing an all-night signing of her new book at the Natural History Museum on 21 July.

You need to go into a draw for one of the 500 free tickets, and the details for this are at:

http://www.bloomsbury.com/jkrevent/

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harry Potter

If you are at Marble Arch, you are better off going to Sussex Stationers. It is a few minute walks from Marble Arch station and sells books at a cheaper price. There is likely to be an offer for HP7 as usual and I'll bet they will have plenty of stock. I went there for HP5, walked in and got it in a couple of minutes.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harry Potter

Thank you Glyn1 for the info for JKRowling's reading. Passed the info on to my daughter. Fabulous experience for those lucky enough to attend.

Thank you x571 for the info on Sussex Stationers near Marble Arch. We will absolutely check it out.

Only 38 days and counting.......until we leave that is!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harry Potter

There was a fair old queue in my local WHSmiths, and apparently there was a massive queue for the Waterstones, where they were having competitions and giving stuff away. I was just happy to get my book and scuttle home to start reading. I won't give away the ending...

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harry Potter

I walked into my local Asda's supermarket and got one from the pile for only five pounds.