We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

With too much time on my hands I looked up travel times from Heathrow Central to some popular tube stations. The format of the following is station, time using HEX and tube, and time using the tube alone.

Baker Street 30 55

Bayswater 26 47

Canary Wharf 53 65

Charing Cross 37 56

Earl's Court 35 34

Green Park 38 55

King's Cross 35 53

Lancaster Gate 31 54

Leicester Square 44 55

Paddington 16 49

Queensway 34 51

Russell Square 44 50

South Kensington 37 34

Victoria 39 44

Waterloo 40 53

Westminster 40 48

The Heathrow Express lost its charm for me when they quit checking in my luggage at Paddington Station. I am happy to save the £14 HEX fare by taking the tube into London. The way I figure it, £14 to save 25 minutes to my Baker Street location costs me £33.60 per hour. I travel light and do not remember any major hassles with rush hour commuters.

I was surprised that taking the HEX and two tube lines to Russell Square was quicker than the direct route on the Picadilly Line. Also, the TFL Journey Planner does not seem to figure any time waiting for the first train. The HEX runs every 15 minutes, the Picadilly Line every five minutes. I figure the average waiting time at 7.5 and 2.5 minutes respectively. That makes me feel better about the tube only option.

Those wanting a more sterile journey can still take the Heathrow Express and a taxi.

Note for accountant types: The Journey Planner gave me a number of results that could vary. The times listed are an imprecise midpoint. Journeys were planned at about noon.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

Interesting post. Only observation I would add is that, if you're in any way prone to travel sickness (especially after a thru-the-night flight), the tube is less smoother than the HEX.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

On reflection, this is a superbly useful post.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

hoogo, once again a swell piece of work - thank you.

The HEX's appeal escaped me when I saw the fare.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

Thanks hoogo for taking the time. When I used to stay in central London near Paddington I used the HEX. Now that I stay in the suburbs I don't anymore. It is a very easy comfortable 15 min ride but as TP noted, it isn't cheap.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

Thanks for the kind words. I can't help it, I love the tube.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

Hoogo: Thanks for taking the time to do this. Great reference tool.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
956 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

Truly a nice reference tool. Any chance this could be added to a sticky? Lots of people ask Tube vs. HEX and this would at least answer the time aspect.

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

One of the reasons people on this forum seem to dread the Tube is the overcrowding. But, hey - travelling from Heathrow you are 100% guaranteed a seat. ...Unlike us poor 'sardines' who live further up the Piccadilly line!

9. Re: Heathrow Express vs Tube Only travel times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 09:26