We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat Nav error - BBC story

USA
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
Sat Nav error - BBC story

Oops! You wanted to go to Hampton Court Palace, not Hampton Court in Islington. It was not the trip pupils and teachers expected. …bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6483383.stm

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat Nav error - BBC story

Although I'm smiling, I'm guessing the teachers/students weren't and understandably so.

Hmmm...I'd have to say the error was human, not the GPS satellite navigation, so a bit of an over-reaction to drop the system. The nav simply responded to the human input for destination and led them correctly to "Hampton Court." I use a GPS receiver all the time. Just confirm the name of the place by reading carefully, quite similar to what you'd do with a map index. On computer or on paper, maps are wonderful, but people often misread them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat Nav error - BBC story

Numpty driver.

SatNav is a brilliant tool but it is just that. A tool or aid.

Should never be blindly followed. Decisions are still down to the person at the wheel.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat Nav error - BBC story

Old news, and it wasnt a sat nav error.

The sat nav took the vehicle to the (wrong) place the idiot driver selected.

USA
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat Nav error - BBC story

Good point, Joe. I would edit the thread title if I could. I can't believe the drivers could be so clueless. I wonder if they still have jobs.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat Nav error - BBC story

I took a local cab to pick up my car from the garage. He pulled up outside a very smart house, in a very smart road and said "We're here". I pointed out thast this wasn't XYZ Coachworks, nor did it look like it, and if he would follow my directions we would find it. He spent the rest of the journey hitting the Sat Nav.

6. Re: Sat Nav error - BBC story

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 07:18