We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football 6 May-13 May, any level

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
657 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Football 6 May-13 May, any level

I'm staying at Hub Hotel Covent Garden 110 St Martins Lane, London,

WC2N 4BA. My above dates do not include arrival or departure dates, I'd love to see some form of football, preferably with very easy access by public transport and not wanting to pay Premier League hospitality prices. I would like to keep the transit less than one hour each way from my hotel and hopefully match tickets under 100 pounds each, if possible. If there is no football, I'd also be interested in rugby or cricket.

I am aware that I must buy tickets from official sources and that ticket touting should always be avoided in the UK so I'd only buy from an official source.

Mentioned in this post
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
19,604 Reviews
London, UK
St Martins Lane London Hotel
St Martins Lane London...
2,988 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,515 Reviews
from US$122.40*
Free Cancellation
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
717 Reviews
from US$110.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,199 Reviews
from US$125.00*
Free Cancellation
9 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

The leagues below the Premier League (Championship, League 1, League 2 and National League) all end their regular season on or before 5th May. Sorry. World Cup year so the domestic season has to be wrapped up early.

There may be a play off game, but those won’t be known until a week (or in the case of L1/L2/NL) the day before you arrive.

So it’s Premier League only, with the season finale on 13th May.

Or maybe a women’s match? The Women’s Super League is one of the best in the world, and England’s Women’s team is now ranked #2 in the FIFA world rankings. Chelsea and Arsenal women both have home matches on 12/13 May - fawsl.com/matches.html#W9xTwLofK5XdCObI.97

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Chelsea Guest House
Chelsea Guest House
1,132 Reviews
London, UK
London, England...
Level Contributor
102 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

The previous poster is slightly incorrect - the 6th May is also the final day of the Championship (the tier directly below the PL). The fixture list can be found here, although games are subject to change if they are televised.

skysports.com/football/…6-May-2018

The problem is that its a very unattractive list in terms of London, you do not want to be going to a Millwall home game as a tourist and the Brentford vs Hull game will be probably be terrible.

I think your best bet may be the Spurs vs Burnley game on the 13th. Spurs are playing at Wembley this season and posters on other threads have said they're not selling out except for the major games. Burnley are doing pretty well this season playing some nice football, but they are not a "big-club" with lots of name value to casual supporters.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brentford
Brentford
Ealing, UK
Burnley
Burnley
Lancashire, UK
Wembley
Wembley
Greater London, UK
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

Those Championship games always kick off at the same time on the final day of the season - so the 1230 kick off can be guaranteed, televised or not.

Brentford is actually excellent, with friendly, real fans and good pubs nearby. I’d say that that would be a great call for you, train from Waterloo.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Brentford
Brentford
Ealing, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

“The previous poster is slightly incorrect - the 6th May is also the final day of the Championship (the tier directly below the PL). The fixture list can be found here, although games are subject to change if they are televised.”

========

Oops my bad. I’d read (in the wrong place) that the Championship ended on April 29th.

None of the final day matches will be moved for TV though as per the rules they must all be played at the same time.

Millwall v Villa could be a sell out as Villa are chasing an automatic promotion spot, and Millwall have a chance of making the playoffs. Brentford v Hull could be a good option though (Brentford have a very slim chance of the playoffs). And Griffin Park is a classic old style ground (soon to be demolished). I’d go for Brentford.

Mentioned in this post
Brentford
Brentford
Ealing, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,591 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

If you would like to experience a cricket match then a four day First Division County game between Surrey and Yorkshire starts on the 11th at The Oval (nearest tube stations Oval and Vauxhall) and will be a cheaper if slower way to enjoy some British sport . In the Second division Middlesex play Gloucestershire at Lords (nearest tube St John's Wood) over the same period. Lords is known as the home as cricket and you can take a tour of the ground and/or visit the famous museum during the lunch or tea intervals.

Admission is unlikely to be much more than £20 for around 6 hours "entertainment".

https://www.kiaoval.com/

https://www.lords.org/

Mentioned in this post
Surrey
Surrey
England, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
The Oval Restaurant
The Oval Restaurant
179 Reviews
London, UK
Lords Hotel
Lords Hotel
576 Reviews
London, UK
St. John's Wood
St. John's Wood
52 Reviews
London, UK
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
634 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

I'd head for the Brentford match

Both teams involved in the match are good

Mentioned in this post
Brentford
Brentford
Ealing, UK
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

Tickets are still available at £40 at the top of the stadium for Tottenham vs Leicester City on May 13th. I got lower level tickets for a little bit more, but I woke up at 4:30 AM to purchase them as soon as they went on general sale. My husband and I really wanted to see the Spurs so I didn’t look around too much after finding this game for our trip. Wembley is about 45-50 minute easy trip from Earl’s Courts area where we are staying. This game is probably your best bet for a premiership game without too hefty a price on the 13th.

Mentioned in this post
Leicester
Leicester
Leicestershire, UK
Wembley
Wembley
Greater London, UK
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

Definitely recommend Brentford for the real English football ground experience, not a modern stadium like you will find anywhere in the world.

Last day of the season often throws up weird results - useless teams suddenly scoring five goals etc. Always potential for it to be a great match.

There is a cricket option - Surrey are playing 4 day Championship matches at the Oval, vs Worcestershire 4th-7th and vs Yorkshire 11th-14th. That's a whole day commitment though (unless you leave early) - not sure I'd recommend it if you only have a week to see London, unless you really like cricket. Crowds for Championship matches tend to be very thin.

Mentioned in this post
Brentford
Brentford
Ealing, UK
Surrey
Surrey
England, UK
The Oval Restaurant
The Oval Restaurant
179 Reviews
London, UK
Worcestershire
Worcestershire
England, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Football 6 May-13 May, any level

>> I think your best bet may be the Spurs vs Burnley game on the 13th. Spurs are playing at Wembley this season and posters on other threads have said they're not selling out except for the major games. Burnley are doing pretty well this season playing some nice football, but they are not a "big-club" with lots of name value to casual supporters. <<

Spurs are playing Leicester on the 13th, not Burnley. Wouldn't want the OP to have their hopes of seeing the mighty Clarets dashed. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Burnley
Burnley
Lancashire, UK
Wembley
Wembley
Greater London, UK
Leicester
Leicester
Leicestershire, UK
Reply to: Football 6 May-13 May, any level
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted