We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Topic
Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

I couldn't let the thread below go without a comment (the thread itself is closed to further replies)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k11408…

I want to correct a quote by Insightful i.e.:

"Okay, so it's in the North West. But it's still only fifty minutes away from Central London. So it's at least arguable that Watford are a London club"

Watford is situated in Hertfordshire County. It is no more in London than Liverpool, Manchester or Glasgow. The fact that it is a few miles from the Greater London boundary does not make it a London club.

Another quote by Insigtful from the same thread:

"And if Watford are not a London club, why are Spurs and themselves always described fondly by the Daily Telegraph as "North London rivals"

Well, all I can say is, don't believe everything you read in a newspaper. Just because the Daily Telegraph (or any paper for that matter) describes Watford as being in North London does not necessary mean it is. Journalists, after all, are not experts in Geography unless it's finding the way to the nearest pub.

If anyone is in any further doubt, just look at an A-Z covering the Greater London region and you will see that Watford is located outside of Greater London.

This is of course reletively minor in the great scheme of things but some of us do take great pride in being accurate on this forum.

Just one more point to Insightful, we are TALFers not TALFites.

End of rant and goodnight.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

There is no way Watford could ever be considered "in London". It is not even part of the London Assembly. (lucky sods) !

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

There's a London Assembly? Who has to pay for that?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Just to be the spanner in the works .... Watford IS inside the M25, so if one wanted to be a pedant of the highest order (and mick, who'd want to be a pedant of any other type?) one could claim that despite its Hertfordshire situation, Watford could be called part of Greater London (depending on one's definition of Greater).

One could also say it's in London and the Home Counties - if that would suit those who live in Watford and environs (as well as mick).

The London Assembly (the Phoenix that rose from the ashes of the GLC) homepage is terrifying for the picture thereon of Our Ken looking caring and helpful. Yikes.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Whoa. As a former Dartfordian, which borders Greater London, but which is most definitely in KENT, I have to come to the support of my fellow Home County buddies who may border Greater London! Watford, in Hertfordshire is definitely not London or Greater London.

The M25 has nothing to do with whether a place is or is not in London!

These things definitely matter!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Under this kind of pressure, what choice to I have but to fold faster than Superman on laundry day?

All right, all right - I give up. Earlier posting was made at work, but now at home, with the benefit of my trusty A to Z (correct title is London A to Z - I think that's germane), I shall have to say that Watford is not in London, despite the proximity of the M25. The A to Z stops at Bushey Heath and Ruislip Common, leaving Rickmansworth, Northwood and Watford to cope on their own -- which they do just fine, I'm sure.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Another error is omission of Fulham as a source of Premiership football. Or is Craven Cottage now outside London aswell?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Also, it's a bit odd really because Harrow is in Middlesex, which is more of a postal concept now than an actual place, but is a London borough. Silly old planning people from the past. They should have made up their minds and sorted it all out.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

I've always thought that people who live in Harrow know they are really in Middlesex in spite of the government moving or deleting well-beloved counties.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Just to add, I was born in Bromham, Kent....which I now believe is Bromham, Greater London!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,783 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watford - Is it in London or Hertfordshire

Bromham, senoraylan? Where's that then?

I've heard of Bromley which could conceiveably have moved into London's borders, and there are Bromhams in Bedfordshire and Wiltshire, but you've got me stumped with a Bromham in Kent.