We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Total time for all three

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Total time for all three

I am planning on driving from London to Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath. I would like to leave very early in the morning to take advantage of the day and to try to make it back to London for dinner at night. Is this plausible? If I leave from London at 8:00 am, would I be able to be back in London for dinner at 8:30 pm?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Windsor and Maidenhead, UK
13 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,595 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Total time for all three

Possibly but only by rushing through and shortchanging all three.

Windsor needs about 2-3 hours, Stonehenge about 2 (including getting from car park to Stones), and Bath at least a day. That's without travel and looking for parking times.

Better to do them by public transport and allow 2 days or drop one of them.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
1,757 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Total time for all three

As Parklandwalk says it's possible, but that's hoping the traffic on the motorways is ok, although you will be going against the flow off traffic, getting out of London at 8am will be busy! At least 2 hours drive to Stonehenge, 2 hours look around, and it will be lunchtime, you could miss Bath and get back to Windsor mid afternoon for a quick look around Castle and town before dinner back in London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,779 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Total time for all three

agree with post #1 - if you must take this on drop Windsor which is a very easy 1/2 day trip from London by train

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
London
London
England, UK
Greater London...
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Total time for all three

Plausible - Yes

Sensible - No

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Total time for all three

In a word, no.

Not if you actually want to visit these sites properly and not get exhausted.

Some coach tours combine these three sites but it's hard to understand how, or why people would want to do them. You would be sitting on a coach all day, and have very brief stops at the places you're visiting. I also doubt whether the coach trips are back by 8.30 p.m. perhaps they are .... Bear in mind that the coach operators will have their parking worked out. Parking in Bath is notoriously difficult, and using the Park and Ride service (where you pick up a bus from an outlying car park) is recommended, So don't assume you can pop into Bath 'quickly'.

Bath in particular needs a whole day to itself. (Ideally 2). Stonehenge needs several hours; the stones are a mile from the Visitors Centre. Most people would combine this with historic Salisbury and cathedral for a full-day trip. Windsor Castle requires several hours. If you want to include the town of Windsor and the Great Park, that's more like a day trip as well.

All three can be done independently on the train, Stonehenge then requiring a local bus from Salisbury station www.thestonehengetour.info

You could combine Windsor Castle and Stonehenge ( only, not Salisbury) into a 1-day car trip, with Bath as a separate day trip by train. Or do all three by car with an overnight stop in Bath.

But however you do the transport, you really need a minimum of two days to see all three places.

Edited: 30 March 2018, 14:15
Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,766 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
London Visitors Hotel
London Visitors Hotel
403 Reviews
London, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Windsor Castle
Windsor Castle
10,740 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Total time for all three

Even combining two of these would be a stretch for one day.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,888 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Total time for all three

Where in London? Central London or Heathrow?

Central London to Heathrow = 1 hour, possibly / probably longer/

Heathrow to Windsor = 25 - 30 mins.

At Windsor = 2 hours minimum

Windsor to Stonehenge = allow 90 minutes.

At Stonehenge = 1 3/4 - 2 hours

Stonehenge to Bath = 1 hour (and if traffic's bad you can be queuing 15mins just to get into Bath let alone find parking)

At Bath = minimum 2 hours (yes, I know the rest of you lot are throwing your hands up in horror, but I'm just saying...)

Bath to Heathrow = 2 hours. Maybe longer. Bath to London = 2.5 hours maybe longer. Realistically.

So that's 8 - 8.30pm. Just. But I haven't allowed time for lunch or dinner. And you won't have had time to explore Windsor town or Bath outside of the roman baths and the Abbey.

And if you need to be back by 8.30pm because you *have* to be somewhere, then you run the risk of missing it because of traffic.

So yes it's do-able. I don't. (it's my business to drive to these places; but I will not do all 3 in a day).

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Central Hotel
Central Hotel
99 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Windsor
Windsor
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Total time for all three

As Gillian has asked where in London?

If central then who knows how long it will take you to get out and indeed back in.

Train for me,and spread over a couple of days.

Does sound like one of those trips that is mainly rush rush,tick it from the list and not really appreciate the ambience of what you have experienced

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Total time for all three

And Gilligan's time estimates don't even include the time it will take to pick up your car rental (could easily be another hour), finding parking in Windsor and Bath, any road delays - including getting lost, missing a turnoff or roundabout exit. Driving in Windsor and Bath is not a lot of fun.

Mentioned in this post
Windsor
Windsor
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Total time for all three

The plan does not seem sensible to attempt IMO.

From where in London do you start ? (key factor).

Do you already have the car or will you rent it on the day itself ? (if the latter, from where; and when does the rental office open?)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Reply to: Total time for all three
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted