We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Observations and Comments

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Some Observations and Comments

Obviously, my son and I had a great time on our 3 day trip to London this past week. I think it's fun to compare what you expected on your trip and what actually happened.

So, here are some things that I observed that surprised me a bit:

1. London women don't seem to superglue their purses to their bodies like we (tourists) do. Do they get their wallets stolen more often than tourists do or do they know something we don't?

2. Almost everyone wears athletic shoes (trainers). And a lot of them wear white ones. So don't worry about what your shoes look like. Just make sure they're comfortable.

3. You don't have to use your travelcard and/or Oyster card to get on and off the DLR (at least at the stations we went to). Only once did someone come around on the train to check our tickets. Do people cheat a lot on the DLR and bet they're not going to need a ticket?

4. Just accept that you're going to spend more money than you plan to. We tend to forget to factor in those money sucking things such as ice cream cones, sodas, beers at cute little pubs, etc. So give yourself a currency cushion when it comes to your vacation budget.

5. The word "Quay" is pronouced "key" and not "kway" like I was saying it in my head. So, West India Quay station is actually pronounced West India "Key" station.

6. If you travel alone with your 11 yr. old son, there will be no evidence that you actually went on the trip except for the credit card receipts and the video from the security camera at the ATM. Because your kid is in all the pictures. Out of all of the pictures we have from this trip, I'm only in one! One stinking picture.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Observations and Comments

great post. Made me smile. I like the advice on athletic shoes.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,460 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Observations and Comments

I suspect a number of people do try to get away with not paying on the DLR although the fines should be enough to put most people off trying it. The one thing you must do though is to touch in and out: this can be difficult as the yellow pads are not alwasy placed in the most obvious places.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Observations and Comments

I guess I didn't notice those since we had paper travelcards. I was surprised that we didn't have to put our travelcards through the slot to have gates open in order to get in and out.

UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Observations and Comments

I superglue my purse to myself wherever I go but I guess everyone is different and maybe people just get complacent.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Observations and Comments

When I used to live in Greenwich, the DLR train captains checked tickets by walking down the train about 50% of the time, so it wasn't worth trying to travel without a ticket.

The last time did some naughty non ticket travelling I spent the whole time sweating, so it probably wasn't worth the trouble (City Airport to West Harrow).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Observations and Comments

We found out about the "quay/key" thing out in Devon last year. It dawned on us when they kept referring to the "key" in Exeter - oh, the quay!! :o)

I don't have a lot of photos of me in London, either. :o)

New York
Level Contributor
499 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Observations and Comments

Last June when I was in London there was a heat wave and off went the athletic shoes and out came the flip flops. I had to buy a pair to to feel like I fit in plus my feet were hot in my walking shoes with socks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Observations and Comments

Glad to hear you had a great trip.

We had the same experience on the DLR 3 years ago. Same thing when we took the train to Hampton Court Palace. Kept wondering if we'd missed a gate where we should have shown our card but nothing happened.

Nice to hear about the shoes. I'm planning on wearing some old ratty black ones that are comfortable.

Alabama
Level Contributor
264 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Observations and Comments

Have enjoyed all your posts regarding this trip & thank you for the observations & comments.

Re:#6 I do hope your one picture includes your son.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Observations and Comments

MoeMom: So enjoyed these comments and observations. Your wit comes through.