We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Primark

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Primark

How near to Top Shop on Oxford Street is Primark? and is it better to get a taxi from Top Shop or Primark to go to see Mama Mia in the West End?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Primark

Primark is at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street, in the old C&A building. Topshop is at the northeast corner of Oxford Circus, so it's closer to the Prince of Wales theatre.

To get from either shop to the theatre, you could take any of buses 6, 15 or 23 from either Marble Arch or Oxford Circus down to Piccadilly Circus, and alight there for a short walk to the theatre.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Primark

After traipsing around Top Shop with teen on my last three visits to London I vow never to do so again........ever, ever, ever!

The place was stifling hot and choc full of people - yes, teen thinks its wonderful and the holy grail, but we had much more luck at actually making a purchase in the dead quiet Top Shop at Strand.

I'll try and stick with the local Primark and Top Shop in future.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Primark

Hi Juston

Here is a copy of a post regarding Primark that I wrote for someone else only the other day - sorry to be 'negative' about it, if you do go to the London one (I have NOT been there!) please PM me and let me know your experiences!

EW

Hello HOPEYorkshire

I have been shopping to Romford in Essex today, where there is a very large Primark and made the mistake of going in there.

Personally I don't know what all the fuss is about, it is full of horrible cheap clothes that look horrible and cheap, are crammed together, falling on the floor like a giant jumble sale. Also there seem to be people fighting over them - and the store at Romford has been there for quite a few years - so heaven knows what the 'crush' will be like in London!!!!!!!!

Although I can understand the appeal to youngsters to go to the 'new' store, don't be surprised if all of the clothes you find there remind you of what you can buy in your nearest market at home except the market clothes will, probably have more style, better quality and might even be cheaper!

GO if you must, but I'd go to places you can't find at home so easily, there is a large H & M near Top Shop and all sorts of other more interesting stores.

Caveat Emptor!

EW

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Primark

As TP said, its up by Marble Arch, opposite the tube entrance. maybe a 10min walk from Top Shop.

Look, you can see it here!

www.streetsensation.co.uk/oxford/os_s18.htm

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Primark

Essexwanderer, having visited various Primark stores I can definitely see your point: much of the stuff is repetative, ill-made and boring. However, I'm not sure you've grasped the raison d'etre of Primark's adult customers: the possibility that in all the dross there will be one piece that is an exceptionally close knock-off of a high-fashion item, and at an exceptionally reasonable price. We're talking thrill of the chase here, not just clothes shopping. Think hunter/gatherer for modern age :)

Jennifer

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Primark

jennifer, surely you mean, cheap-faux-tat for the "proud to be chav" society more like?

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Primark

"Primark is at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street, in the old C&A building"

Or more recently the 'Allders department store' building wasn't it?

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Primark

Jenniferpa

I'd rather go to a proper jumble sale and find a bargain retro or vintage item.

Primark made me loose the will to live!

Luckily Romford also has a Boundary Mill store, offering the 'hunter gatherer' experience to the more discerning customer!

boundarymill.co.uk/V3/romford/store_home.html

I have recently purchased some lovely items here, at minimal cost.

Good luck to you if you want to brave the 'bundle' at Primark, but for me, life is too short!

EW

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Primark

"jennifer, surely you mean, cheap-faux-tat for the "proud to be chav" society more like?"

Yes, well, that as well!

Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Primark

its not just chavs who shop at primark - in fact i would say that the majority of chavs dont shop in primark as the whole point of a chav is that they were expensive designer gear to some how prove that they are rich. primark shoppers tend to be students (like myself) or people looking for bargains. i personally think its great for summer stuff as you only wear it one summer and then chuck it away and it doesnt matter cos it only cost £3!