We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel card or Oyster card

san diego
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel card or Oyster card

I will be in London with an 8 year old for 3 and a half days. Is it better to buy a 3 day Travel card or an Oyster card? Moving around only in the 1-2 zone approximately how much money I would need to put in an Oyster card. Is there a reason to get a card for my 8 year old?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

I think it's better to get an Oyster card. See tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1063.aspx

Scroll down to the Under-11s section.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

I also agree that an Oystercard is your best option. I usually get my card when I get to Heathrow tube station then hand it back again at Heathrow on my return. It doesn't matter how much money you put on it as you get any money back that you don't use. There's a £3 deposit for the card but you also get that back when you hand the card in.

Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

Dear Chrella,

My 17 year old will be in London for 3 days, off to Normandy (via Portsmouth ferry) and then back to London for a few days.

Should I get him an Oyster card or a travel card? Should he get a picture Oyster card? I'm a bit confused on the difference between the Oyster and the travel cards.

thank you!

Huckie

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

Using Pay As You Go on Oyster will likely give you the best value for your stay in London. If you use the buses and Tube in zones 1 and 2 and start your day's journey before 0930, the daily cap will be £6.10; if you start your journey after 0930 on a weekday or any time on a weekend, the cap will be £4.60.

Your small person can travel for free on London buses at any time, and can travel off peak (after 0930 on weekdays, or any time on weekends or public holidays) as long as s/he travels with you and you hold a valid Travelcard or PAYG on Oyster. To use the Tube, ask a member of staff to let you through the gates. You must touch in and touch out with y our Oyster as if you were travelling on your own.

Huckie - Travelcards are sold either as paper tickets (one and three day cards) or loaded on Oyster (seven day and longer period tickets). Oyster can also be used for Pay As You Go travel, which has two benefits: Oyster fares are significantly cheaper than cash single fares, and a daily cap applies to travel in the zones. If your son stays in zones 1 and 2 (there's no cap for zone 1 travel only), the cap will be as in the first paragraph - all travel after the cap has been reached is free for the day.

Since your son will be visiting London on two separate occasions, PAYG on Oyster is probably the best bet for him. Getting a photocard is a fairly arduous procedure (must apply in advance, pay £5, suppy a passport size photo and wait a couple of weeks tor the application to be processed), and to be honest, 16-17 year old Photocards are really designed for Londoners, rather than visitors.

Oyster cards used solely for PAYG purposes will have a refundable £3 deposit charged when first purchased. The deposit and any unused PAYG money will be refunded when you return Oyster at the end of your holiday. If you wish to give it to a friend, the money loaded on Oyster will stay active for two years, as long as the card is ueed within that time period. Oyster cards can be registered, too, so that any PAYG money is safe - if a registered card is stolen or lost it can be reported as such and TfL will make the card invalid, so the thief can't use it.

Houston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

Thank you Travellerplus,

I believe I read that 16-17 year olds were required to have picture oyster cards in order to get young person discounts? Is there no discounts applicably if you do pay as you go? My 17 year old will be traveling without me.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

Hm - time for a bit of number-crunching.

If your son were to use PAYG on Oyster at the standard adult rate for four days of offpeak travel in zones 1 and 2, the daily cap would be £4.60 each day, or £18.40. If your son had the 16-17 Photocard, he'd be eligible for a discounted rate, with the daily cap for offpeak travel of £2.30, or £9.20.

A three day Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 for those over age 15 costs £16.40 and a one day Travelcard costs £5.10 for off peak travel - so PAYG really would be a better deal for your son's time in London.

The 16-17 Photocard will cost £5, which takes away a bit of the benefit of getting the card for such a short stay in London - but ultimately, the choice is yours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

As far as I can see from tfl's site the only 16-17 discounts with the cards are for those "in full time education or on a work-based learning scheme who live within a London borough"

London, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

no...tp is right, you can get a discount, it's just cleverly not on the 'discounts' page of their site..

Ruhr Valley
Level Contributor
184 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

Perhaps you can help me with my decision, too.

I´ll be in London from Sunday late afternoon till Thursday morning. We´ll need travelcards (zone 1-2) for four days (3 x Off-Peak and one Peak would be okay I guess) and just a just a single ticket for Thursday morning.

I´m thinking about buying a 7-Day-Travelcard or an Oyster Card.

I think the price would be quite similar:

7-Day-Travelcard:

23.20 Pounds

Oyster:

3 x Capping Rate Off Peak (4.60 x3 = 13.80)

+ 1 x Capping Rate Peak (6.10)

+ 1 x Single Fare (1.50)

= 21.40 Pounds

Is my calculation right? Which ticket would you recommend to me?

Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,067 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel card or Oyster card

The difference is bigger as the 7 day card is off peak only and you have a peak time journey which will need extra money on it

Therefore I'd say go for the PAYG options as there's always a chance you won't reach the cap for the day and you don't have to worry about trips outside Zones 1-2 which the 7 day Travelcard won't cover.

Just remember you have to pay a deposit on a PAYG Oystercard which you wouldn't on a 7 day card