We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to maze?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to maze?

Hi,

We will be in London and traveling to Stratford-upon-Avon this summer. What would be the best hedge maze to visit? Is there one between London and Stratford, as we will have a car for that day? Or best to take a train from London to Hampton Court?

thanks!

England
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to maze?

Hi.

I don't know about the 'best' maze, but here is a great site on UK mazes:

http://www.geocities.com/mikesmazes/

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,248 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to maze?

Not aware of any major mazes between London and Stratford although there is one at Ragley Hall near Alcester which isn't far from Stratford. I would be more tempted by the Hampton Court Maze which is a decent size and generally well kept.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to maze?

There's the maze at Blenheim Palace. If you leave the M40 at Junction 9 then take the Cotswold route from Woodstock up to Stratford it'll be right on your way.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to maze?

I've been to the one at Hampton Court and was so glad a greenskeeper was there because I couldn't find my way out.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to maze?

I've been to the maze at Hampton Court Palace: its great fun, the grounds are very nice, the costumed guides at the palace make the tours interesting, plus you have the Great Vine planted by Capability Brown in 1700 something (?) with its own special greenhouse. It still produces grapes that are sold in season.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to maze?

thanks all!

My son, the WW2 buff decided on Blenheim Palace when he learned it was Churchill's birthplace. So looks like that's on the itinerary!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to maze?

The past three or four years, I have booked the tours that go to Oxford the cotswolds and blenheim. They have always been cancelled and I have been switched over to the Oxford, Stratford and Warwick Castle tour!!!! If you are going during the summer, you may not have a problem with a tour, but just be aware that alot of switching goes on.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to maze?

Thanks for the hint, LondonLady

We do have a car to do the one day trip, as we have theatre tix in Stratford, so we can plan our own day. There's so much between London and Stratford.

Any other suggestions for the day trip?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to maze?

The best hedge maze I've been to in England was at Leeds Castle in Kent. Not quite in the direction you'll be going, but an easy day trip from London. :o)

www.leeds-castle.com

england
Level Contributor
205 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit to maze?

I certainly wouldn't recommend the maze at Ragley Hall - it's quite modern, lots of brick and cement, not pretty at all. There is a good adventure playground for older kids and the parkland is nice but Ragley Hall itself is not that outstanding...