We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Can people who have done this post their experiences? I'd love to be able to put photos on one of the many photo websites out there, mostly as insurance against loss/theft of my camera during the trip.

Is it easy to do direct from the camera to the website @ an internet cafe? While in Alaska last summer (with a slightly older digital camera that needed a cradle, which I brought) I was not able to upload pics, because the computer in the hotel wouldn't let me copy the photos onto its harddrive.

Now I've got a zippy new video recorder with photo snap capability. It's got a 30MB hard drive and I just bought two 2G memory cards, but I'm a shutter bug and I'm worried about running out of space. (Plus my mom would love to see pics of us while we're away.)

Thanks for any and all info!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Pixiekeeper: I just take a bunch of memory cards with me. I don't trust uploading at internet cafes. But hopefully this thread will help you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k14238…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Don't know about upload speeds in cafes and whether you'll end up spending ages there. Their back bone will probably be quick but upload speed at a terminal might not be so hot.

But an alternative maybe to try a camera store such as Jessops or Boots and back up your photos to CD or DVD.

When I did a big trip I did two copies. One I kept with me and the other I posted home.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Thanks Lee and CP!

Hmm, I hadn't thought about the upload time...that's a reason to avoid the whole procedure! The burn to CD idea is great...I'll remember that.

Lee, how much memory do you bring? We'll be gone 25 days...

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Pixiekeeper, do you have a laptop you can bring? Last time I went I took my own laptop and just uploaded the photos each night. I am also a shutterbug and was worried about memory.

Plus it helped me to put a name to each photo before I forgot what it was that I saw. For example, I took a ton on photos of the dress exhibit at the V & A musuem and would never have remembered whose dress was which if I waited til I got home.

Internet access at the hotels though I think can be expensive.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,762 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

I have got a small portable drive \ harddisc with an amazing storing capacity of 100 GB which I always bring when travelling and taking photos. It is compatible with all sorts of memory cards. The brand is Amitech - very, very handy.

If I would like to send some photos back home while travelling it is also compatible with most Microsoft systems, making it possible to use an Internet cafe or a PC in a hotel if available.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

jos, I may be the only person in the Valley without a laptop. ;)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

greek-traveller,

Hmmm, that sounds interesting. I may not be up for buying a laptop for the trip, but your mini harddrive sounds like it's worth looking in to.

Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Pixiekeeper: I have about five or six cards of varying sizes but enough to hold over 1000 photos.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Thanks Lee!

Hmm, I took over 500 pics in two weeks in Alaska. I guess I'd better look into getting a few more cards and I'll probably burn a CD or two during the trip as well.

Thanks everyone!

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Uploading photos @ internet cafes...

Pixiekeeper,

Here is a website link to Boots photo centre. Boots is like our Walgreens in San Jose.

bootsdigitalphotocentre.com/wpp/boots/start_…

There seems to be a boots everywhere in London so there is probably one by your hotel you could easily get to. I am not sure how much just uploading to a CD would cost but actual paper print cost is basically double what it would cost here, thanks to the weak dollar, strong Britsh pound. But Boots would be the cheapest in London I think.

You might want to guesstimate the number of pictures you would take versus cost of printing photos. Each of my memory sticks cost almost $60, so if I had to buy extras it would be very expensive.

Hope this helps