We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
wetherspoon pubs

Hi everybody in the forum

can you tell me what you think about the JD Wetherspoon pubs in London?

They seem to have reasonable prices on food and drinks and most of them are child friendly restaurants and have a child's menu.

Thanks

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wetherspoon pubs

They are absolutely fine and I would recommend them - the one near the Tower of London is a favourite of mine. However, the one in Leicester Square is too hectic and crowded for children.

USA
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wetherspoon pubs

I am a fan of Wetherspoon's pubs. Their prices are unbeatable, the toilets are clean, they have no smoking sections, they generally have interesting architecture, and they have a good selection of real ales.

Critics will point out that they are a large chain, attract customers after a cheap buzz, and can be less than charming. I will add that the no smoking sections are not smoke free.

I relied on Wetherspoon pubs for a pint and a cheap, satisfying dinner before heading to more atmospheric pubs.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wetherspoon pubs

Glyn, do you mean The Liberty Bounds, next to the Tower?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,517 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wetherspoon pubs

Weatherspoons are perfectly adequate, the food and drink is very cheap.

On the downside they have very little character and if you after the true "pub experience" I would sugeest going elsewhere

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wetherspoon pubs

Ramon - yes. The "Lord Moon of the Mall" in Whitehall, between Trafalgar Square and the Houses of Parliament is also OK. As others have said, there are other places with more character, but these are a good choice if you are with children.

Ruhr Valley
Level Contributor
178 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wetherspoon pubs

The prices for meals stated on Wethersppons Website, do they apply only to pubs named "Wetherspoon" or also to other pubs of that chain (like "moon under water", etc.)

Are there other pubs/pub chains in London that offer meals at comparable prices?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wetherspoon pubs

Wetherspoons is the name of the chain, but each pub has its own name, and the wetherpoons online menu details apply to all pubs in the chain I believe. Can't beat the prices, and the buildings are often interesting architecturally - wetherpoons is known for employing craftsment to restore many of the properties to their former glory - on the outside at least!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wetherspoon pubs

I think they're dreadful places if viewed as pubs.

If viewed as somewhere that's cheap to eat, they're OK. Most (especially in tourist areas or the leafier suburbs - an example would be Wanstead) are family friendly, but beware of ones in or near rail termini (like the ones at Liverpool St, Baker St and Victoria) which have a hard drinking atmosphere, and ones in less salubrious suburbs (the ones at Holloway, Hammersmith and Acton spring to mind) which attract the sort of derelicts you'd expect in a place serving the cheapest beer.

They have their place, but it pains me to think that some people (there must be some) will leave these shores believing that this is what a pub is, or should be.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wetherspoon pubs

a hard drinking atmosphere"

"attract the sort of derelicts you'd expect in a place serving the cheapest beer."

That sounds to me very much how a pub should be

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wetherspoon pubs

I second pintpot's comments. If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to eat and drink where kids are permitted then any Weatherspoon's pub in central London is fine. I'm sure you will have a great time. Just please don't go home and proclaim to your friends and neighbors that you had the true pub experience.