We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a cellphone for 2 month...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MI
Level Contributor
115 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need a cellphone for 2 month...

I will be studying in London from the US for the Summer and I need to get a cell phone. Can someone tell me what would be the best company to get a phone with the majority of calls going back to the US. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

I would google (using google in the uk) , using terms like international calling SIM, there are some companies that do SIMs with lower rates for international rates (not roaming, just calling internationally).

If its possible, by far the cheaper option would be for the US to call you, even if you paid the bill later, because there is no charge on incoming calls on mobiles in UK (and Europe generally). So if, for arguments sake, they can call the UK at 2c/min, thats all it would cost. Best deal I would expect to see here would be around 10/15p min, eg 20/30c.

OK I stand corrected a quick google found these guys, http://www.0044.co.uk/UK-Index.htm at 5p/min though you need to spend £20 to buy the SIM so that has to be added onto the cost of the calls.

And here is a well known uk company on the high street, 5p/min

carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/…

Probably easier from a purchasing POV just to go into one of their shops when you are here, buy a cheap mobile and that SIM package.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

STA travel has a pretty good deal on cell phones since you are a student. I think you need to get an ISIC card for about 30 bucks, and then check out: …ekit.com/ekit/MobilePurchase/Phones

There are some really good deals on there. For example, you can receive all calls for free while in Britain with a phone+plan that costs $30.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

How about also placing an advertisement on your school or college's noticeboard - there may be a graduate going home who'd like to sell their British cell phone.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

"For example, you can receive all calls for free while in Britain "

Thats like saying ' fly with our airline and its free to walk the streets of London" ....true, but entirely misleading as its free in any case.

Its free to receive calls on cellphones (or, mobiles as we call them) in the UK and the rest of Europe as long as you are in the country where the SIM is based. eg UK SIM card, free to receive calls in the UK, French SIM card, free to receive calls in France, etc.

Given that you can buy a new phone, with manual, charger, guarantee etc for under £30, I wouldn't bother buying a second hand one unless its remarkably cheap. If you choose a tri or quad band one it will also work when you are back in the US.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

I used the Mobileworld SIM from carphonewarehouse to stay in touch with the missus in CA before she moved over.

5p a min as joe mentions. It's a bit of a ball ache to add credit (call their credit number then enter you credit card detail etc. So easy to miskey but that's about the only grumble I had.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

You are really asking 2 questions. What type of cell phone do I want and what is the cheapest PAYG SIM card plan?

Question #1

Take a look at these website to see what you can expect to pay for a phone in the UK.

shop.carphonewarehouse.com/pay-as-you-go/

…orange.co.uk/shop/…

www.virginmobile.com/vm/payAsYouGoPhones.do

See a phone that you like? Multiply by 2 to get the price in US dollars and then do a search on eBay to see what that phone would cost here. With the declining value of the USD, it may be cheaper to buy a phone now to take with you.

At a minimum, on eBay, you would want to buy a tri-band [900/1800/1900] GSM phone that is ‘unlocked’. You would then be able to use this phone in the UK and in the US with any SIM card. Maybe replace your existing US cell phone ! !

If you were to buy a phone in the UK, it will be locked to only work on 1 network but you could get it unlocked for ≈ £10. At a minimum, a tri-band phone you will cost £35 or ≈ $70 USD. The Motorola L6 with a Orange SIM card from ‘carphonewarehouse.com’ would be a good choice.

…carphonewarehouse.com/pay-as-you-go/…

Question #2

In addition to the SIM cards already mentioned, Orange UK has their ‘CallAbroad’ SIM card which cost £ 1.18. Local calls, including 17.5% VAT, would cost 25p/minute [≈ 66¢] and calls to the US are only 5p/minute [≈ 12¢]. shop.orange.co.uk/shop/sim/callabroadsim…

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

"With the declining value of the USD, it may be cheaper to buy a phone now to take with you"

Pound vs dollar is not declining at the moment.

I think its foolish ,and I use the word advisedly, to buy a phone on eBay now to save, possibly*, a few $, because he wont know if it works until he gets here (the fact it might work in the US wont mean it will work in the UK). Surely much better, given the low prices here, to buy one in the UK, at a store where he can take it back if its DOA. He'll also miss out on any offers such as free weekend calls etc etc on a phone only deal on eBay.

He also wont need to unlock the phone until he gets back to the US (if he wants to use it there), as long as he buys SIM and phone in the same store.

*I just did a comparison on couple of new triband phones and if anything they are cheaper in the UK store (carphonewarehouse) than ebay US.

8. Re: Need a cellphone for 2 month...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 03:18