We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

We will be taking a 6:30 a.m. train to Bath on one of our days in London. The first tube for Waterloo leaves the Angel station, our nearest stop, a few minutes before 6 a.m., with an estimated arrival at about 6:15 a.m.

Is that enough time, or is that cutting it too close?

Maryland
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

You should be fine if everything is running on time, but if things are running late you might be cutting it a bit close, you generally have to be on the train 2 minutes before it leaves. You're going to have to change tube lines so that adds a bit of unknown. I'd take the taxi knowing that there is not a lot of leeway with train departure times, our train left exactly on time.

We caught an 8:28 from Waterloo, we walked from the hotel, arrvied at the station about 8:10 and our train wasn't even in the station yet, we managed to get our tickets and some breakfast (takeaway) and get on the train with 5 minutes to spare.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,486 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

Unless you are intending to visit Salisbury on the way or you've bought a ticket that requires you to go from Waterloo, I'd get the Tube or a bus to Paddington

See http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk and plug your information in - you can put the postcode of your accommodation in it to get even finer detail

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

I'd take a taxi...why risk being late?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

I have to agree with the 3d post -- why risk being late? I hate sweating bullets as I run madly through a train station or airport trying to figure out where to go and where to get your tickets. Take the cab and enjoy the ride -- also then you have help with your bags.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

I, too, was wondering why you were going out of Waterloo instead of Paddington. The trip from Paddington in 90 minutes vs 2 hours out of Waterloo.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

Thank you all for your insight.

And we are going from Paddington. I'm sorry for the confusion. I had just been looking at the Eurostar site before posting this message, and had Waterloo on the brain...

So how long should a cab ride take at this time in the morning?

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

At 6am in the morning a cab from Angel to paddington should take about 20 minutes. The roads should be pretty clear at this time.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The tube or a cab for an early morning train?

Never rely on the first train or bus. Especially if it is a Monday. (or day following a Bank Holiday)