We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Day 6

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Day 6

Breakfast at Caffe Nero (are you beginning to notice a pattern?) then to Paddington Station for our day trip to Windsor. Trip was a simple as could be with an easy train transfer at Slough. It was cloudy and we got the only rain for our entire trip. It lightly rained for about and hour and a half but we were prepared with our umbrellas and it didn't even slow us down. We went right to Windsor Castle, picked up our audio guides and started the tour. By the time we got thru a bit of it, it was time to catch the Changing of the Guard. The crowds were slight and we were able to get up front and get a good view of the entire event. There was a band, the retiring guard and the guard coming on duty. The entire process took about 30 minutes and we able to see the whole thing. Afterwards, we continued our tour, visiting St. George's Chapel where, among other things, we saw the tomb of the Queen Mum and Princess Margaret. Next was Queen Mary's dollhouse, then the State Apartments. The tour took about two hours, included many impressive paintings and furnishings. We saw the looonnnggggg dining hall where state dinners and such take place and many other interesting rooms. Great tour and I would recommend it.

Oh, I almost forgot, the Royal Standard was flying so the Queen was in residence. I don't know if she was there for her birthday weekend or just because.

After leaving the castle, we wandered around Windsor looking at the shops and stopped for cream tea which cost 3.95 pounds each. We each had our own pot of tea, scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. Delicious - and it hit the spot on a cool, drizzly day. After our refreshment we wandered around, came across the library and decided to use 30 minutes free internet time and email home. With that accomplished we made our way back to the train station and headed back to London. MA got her granddaughter a Paddington bear and book at Paddington Station, then we stopped off at the hotel to drop off our packages and rest for a few minutes.

We took bus #9 to Trafalagar Square. It seemed unusually busy which we found out was due to St. George's Day celebrations. We had decided to try bangers and mash for supper and, upon recommention from a TALFer, found a pub named Chandos, which was close to St-Martin-in-the-Fields Church. The pub was packed, also due to the St. George's Day celebration, but we made our way to the bar, ordered our bangers and mash, and a 1/2 pint of Stanley Smith's Wheat Ale. We had a hard time finding a place to sit but finally found a bench and balanced our plate on a stool and thoroughly enjoyed our bangers and mash. After dinner we did a little souvenier shopping around Trafalagar Square, tubed back to our neighborhood and picked up some snacks and beverages at the local Boots before turning in for the evening.

Today's mileage = 7.10 miles

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Day 6

emmagence: Only 7.10 miles? Lucky you to see the State rooms at Windsor when the Queen was in residence. I wasn't so lucky. Did you see the Long Walk?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Day 6

oops....should be Day 7, not 6.

Yes, LeeB, we did see the Long Walk. What a pretty view of the castle from the opposite end. This was my second time to Windsor and I must say I really love the town with the castle right in the middle. The last time I was there was in September and all the shops had beautiful flower baskets hanging from them. What a pretty sight!

3. Re: Trip Report - Day 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 00:16