We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Manchester - train

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
London to Manchester - train

I've noticed that to catch a train on a Sunday to Manchester from London takes nearly twice as long than during the week. As there are 3 of us I'm now considering driving, which isn't much longer going by viamichelin and cost of vehicle would be about the same as 3 return fares (no cheap ones left online) - going on June 10. Any comments/suggestions on my thoughts. Thanks LS

London
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Manchester - train

You haven't said how long you are going to Manchester for.

Bear in mind if you hire a car from Central London say on the Saturday and then return it during the week you will have to pay 8.00GBP a day congestion charge. The charge doesn't apply on weekends.

You could arrange to pick up a vehicle at Luton airport, you can get to Luton airport by train from Kings Cross Thamesllnk and then airport bus. I suggest this airport because it brings you straight on to J10 of M1 which is motorway you require to go to Manchester, you then change on to M6.

Driving in Manchester can be as bad as driving in Central London especially if you do not know exactly where you are going.

Have you considered going by coach. The journey on a Sunday takes just under 5 hours BUT there is a single fare of only 4.00GBP each and you can possibly get a return almost as cheaply. Only problem with these is once booked you cannot change booking. They are called "fun fares". Website is.

www.nationalexpress.com

Hope this helps.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Manchester - train

It does seem to be the case that trains on Sundays can be a nightmare due to engineering works, you get rerouted or have to change several times, including buses.

If its a day trip I'd be inclined to get a train or coach.. It depends what time would you leave to go to Manchester, and when are you coming back. If you are coming back later on Sunday ignore what viamichelin says, or more to the point, double it. Sunday evenings are peak travelling time on the motorways. having done it a few times, unless you can share the driving, its a very long and tiring day.

I appreciate coming from Oz you may be used to driving for hours, but thats probably not with a car right in front of you and the same behind, with unexpected *sudden* stops as the traffic comes to a halt for no apparent reason, for many hours?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Manchester - train

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm not sure whether it will be a day trip or an overnight stay....A friend from Australia who now plays for Huddersfield will be playing in the Challenge Cup on the weekend 9/10 June (not sure exactly when or where yet), so when I say Manchester I'm guessing it could be Wigan, St. Helens etc. etc. So our plan would be to get there in time to see the game - if it is a night game, we would stay the night..... I do remember last year when we had our first visit to London, we hired a car on our last day and drove to Brighton - the trip out of the city was painful. The suggestion on getting a car at Luton may be the go. Thankyou for all the advice....we fly out tomorrow and start our holiday in Spain.....LS

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Manchester - train

Hi--The train fares here are the most expensive in the world when it comes booking a single on the day, but there are 26 different fare options on this route if you have the energy to study them.

The trains take longer on sundays due to engineering works up to about 16.00hrs. Forget a car, its a nightmare. probably best is national express bus from victoria stn, [see previous replies}

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Manchester - train

I would consider driving since it will take you exactly where you want to go.

You could get to Manc Picadilly but then how to get on to the stadium whichever it maybe.

Is it Rugby League?

Maybe this BBC link will help pin down the fixture?

…bbc.co.uk/sport1/…default.stm

Or maybe go to Huddersfield itself and ride with the club buses?

6. Re: London to Manchester - train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 01:18