We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Hi all

Can any of ye recommend a few great beers I should try in London. I have tried Abbott, Old Speckled Hen and ESB in bottles. I hope to try them on draught. Any suggestions that are pretty easily available?

Thanks

Cardiff
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Personally I tend to look for a pint of London Pride. It tastes fine to me (and I am usually spoilt with Cardiff Brains Bitter). And it seems to be the appropriately named tipple for a visit to the capital ;o)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Definitely Pride. Wadworths 6X if its a guest beer anywhere.

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
110 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Young's, Adnams, Spitfire, Bombardier there are loads. Where to get them is the problem. Too many pubs only sell a small selection of real ales and then because of demand it is only London Pride.

Your best bet is to look up the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) web site and surf around the links to local branches who will recommend pubs in all areas of London. There is also a very good book called the Good Pub Guide that should help.

Happy Drinking.

london
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Timothy Taylor Landlord ,if you happen to see it..A tip on drinking real ale if you are not sure what to order or in a freehouse, check out what others are drinking,if it looks good,clear with nice white head ask what it is and try a half.If you come across a pub in London serving Ringwood 49er,clear, cool and a white frothy head, let us know...

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

and i will suggest a couple of pubs "The dog and duck " in bateman st soho the "red lion" in st james st and for good cheap ale "the chandos" in st martins lane they sell their own brew which is old brewery bitter.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

For variety I suggest heading over to the Market Porter and sampling one of everything they have on tap. The selection changes on a regular basis and the pub goes out of its way to bring in a nice selection of ales from smaller breweries.

Now, if I were limited to just one ale on tap in London, I would select Adnams Broadside Ale. I have a few cases of the stuff at home but to have it on tap in London is an even better drinking experience.

Cork
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Thanks to you all for your valued suggestions. I have a whirlwind of choice.

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

J D Wetherspoon pubs (see their website) always have a good (and varying) selection & are always cheaper than other pubs in the area

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Shepherd Neame is my favorite. The Rugby Tavern is one of their pubs.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some suggestions for real beer/ale to try

Being the self proclaimed biggest lover of English cask ale on earth, I would love to chime in. I second the Market Porter suggestion. There you will find top notch micro brewed cask ale from the smaller lesser known breweries. The Wenlock Arms is another one to try a wide variety of ales. I also strongly second the Wetherspoon tip. I like some Wetherspoon pubs a lot and their selection has improved greatly since my first trip to London 7 years ago. Then there is my favorite, Young's. The Lamb pub near Russell Square is my favorite place to go for my favorite beer. The Young's Brewery Tap was tied for first but it is sadly no more. Enough, don't want to stary crying. Fullers beers are top as well. The Chiswick bitter is a very flavorful session ale. Second Adnams as well as Harvey's, T. Taylor and Oakam have always pleased me. Can't wait for next winter and my next trip. With no more smoke in he pubs I might never leave!!!! Pub