We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for day trip

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for day trip

I will be in London July 4-10, and have previously toured Windsor Castle, Bath, Salisbury, & Stonehenge on other visits. Other than York , are Stratford-upon-Avon, Cotswolds, Lakes Dist, Leeds, or Canterbury really "doable" in a day? Which do you recommend? any other suggestions?

Thanks, T

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for day trip

I know that in other posts it has been suggested to go to Brighton for the day. There is a train from Victoria Station and I believe it only takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there? (not real sure). In April we stopped in Brighton to change trainsl (after we had visited Seaford and Alfriston) and it looked like a very interesting place and it was too bad we didn't have time to check it out.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for day trip

akaent,

We live at the beach, not sure going to a Brighton would be what my family would chose to do as our only day trip. Other than a seaside resort, what else would Brighton offer? thanks again, T

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for day trip

Brighton is somewhere that you should definitely consider - there's plenty to see and do there.

Warwick Castle is a 90 minute journey from London and has events such as jousting and falconry on most days.

Of the places on your list, Leeds Castle is doable in a day (it's not in Leeds, Yorkshire) and there are coach trips to it from London Victoria coach station. Canterbury is also an easy day trip.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for day trip

Hi Tricia

If you go to the Brighton Forum you'll see that there is a lot to see and do in and around Brighton. It looks like it would make a very interesting day trip from London. One of the suggestions is to stop in Lewes where there is a old castle, lots of little shops and great scenery. The same can be said for Alfriston and the Seven Sisters Chalk Cliffs. Or type Brighton in the search box and you will see previous posts regarding day trips. Hope this helps.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for day trip

Here are some suggestions for day trips that are indeed doable in a day:

Oxford/Blenheim Palace, train to Oxford, bus to Blenheim

Warwick Castle, one of my favorite day trips, if I remember correctly it puts you near Stratford if you are thinking maybe about overnighting (check out Shakespeare Explorer, they had some kind of transport pass)

Leeds Castle

I did a day trip with Astral that went to Oxford, Stratford and the Cotswolds, in my opinion it was too much for a day and we didn't really see any in depth. But perhaps the Oxford Cotswold trip might be a little better

http://www.astraltravels.co.uk/

Cambridge

I just bought tickets to York to go for a 2nd time because I didn't see everything on the first visit, the earlier you book, the cheaper the ticket (typically). And I wish I just spent an overnight there on the 1st visit.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for day trip

It would be possible to combine Leeds Castle with Canterbury in a day.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,617 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for day trip

The Cotswolds really need a car so you can appreciate their beauty away from the tourist hotspots whilst the Lakes is really too far and again you would need a car. York though is doable although it would be a long day as there is so much to see.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for day trip

Brighton is so much more than just a seaside resort with a beach (of sorts!). With more stuff to do and see in a day than you'll cope with. And ideally suited for a day trip due to the regular train services (ie 4-5 per hour) from London, with journey times under 60mins with semi-express trains.

Focus your day on:

1. The Royal Pavillion

http://www.royalpavilion.org.uk/

2. The Lanes

visitbrighton.co.uk/interests__themes/…33.asp

3. North Laine

visitbrighton.co.uk/interests__themes/…34.asp

4.The Pier (of course!)

http://www.brightonpier.co.uk/indexflash.htm

Perhaps have a read up on Brighton before deciding.

www.timeout.com/travel/features/81.html

www.boutiquebrighton.co.uk/attractions.html

http://tinyurl.com/h74ol

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for day trip

I would recommend Canterbury. Brighton is great and infact just got back from a weekend there last weekend. It is good (especially if it is warm and sunny) for strolling by the beach, drinking outside, going to all the small independent shops and then the great nightlife. It is 'London by the sea!"

But I would recommend Canterbury for tourists, especially if coming from the US. Brighton offers attractions and culture that can be found at home for you guys but Canterbury is all about history, from Roman to medieval with the Cathedral and Abbey, castles, plenty of museums, guided walks - the area is a UNESCO world heritage site.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for day trip

Stratford-upon-Avon,

Yes by train

Cotswolds,

yes by car or tour bus

Lakes Dist,

Absolutely and definitely not

Leeds

No but leeds CASTLE which is nowhere near Leeds, is

, or Canterbury

yes

really "doable" in a day?

Which do you recommend? any other suggestions?

Arundel