We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

hi all

just want to know how to take the airbus from heathrow. Our flight's arriving at 6am on at Terminal 4 on 8th June. Just read that the tube's closed at T4 until Sept 05, so the underground options' out. Since we arrrive so early, we actually do not mind taking the Airport Bus (if it is still running) into London cos we can sightsee along the way. Our 2nd option would be Heathrow express but then, we are not in a rush to get anywhere so we really prefer the bus unless you guys don't recommend it at all.

Anyone has any info for me e..g pricing, which hotels does it stop at? where to board it in Heathrow? etc. All help appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,124 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
510 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

Hi bb,

I don't know anything about the Airbus. But I am curious. Where/what is SG?

Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

Hi britfan

SG=a tiny island in the South China Sea called 'SinGapore'. To find out more about my country, just visit the TA SG Forums! =)

Anyone can help me with the airport bus?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

The Airbus service was discontinued in January this year. You can spend the money for the HEX, but your least expensive choice is the tube, and here's how:

It's true, there is no station at T4, but you can take a free shuttle to Hatton Cross and join the tube there OR -

HEX does a free transfer service between T4 and T1,2,3 - hop on that train, then a brief walk to T1,2,3. The tube station is a walk from the HEX station (all within the terminal building complex and on the same arrivals level) - you can catch the tube from there. Once you leave LHR, much of the line runs overground, so you still get to see a bit, before going underground at Barons Court.

By the time you get through passport control and to the tube station it will be rush hour - you'll join the tube at the start of its journey, but it will get crowded soon. Perhaps sitting at one or the other end of the train would be the least sardine-like experience. Still the cheapest way to central London, only 3.80 single.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

Oh - you could also arrange to travel door to door with Hotelink (www.hotelink.co.uk) for just 16GBP. They operate small vans to and from LHR, so you'd get to see all the wonderful sights along the M4.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

TravellerPlus: What are the wonderful sights along the M4?

Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

Dear TravellerPlus

Thank you for your precious tip on the discontiuation of the Airbus. It's a pity eh? If not for you, we might be caught unaware when we arrive at the heathrow. No wonder few people on this forum talk about the Airbus. Wonder why the guidebooks are not updated. :(

Now, I'm a little worried cos there aren't any tube terminals at T4. Changing from HEX to the tube station during rush hours does seem a little scary...hope we'll meet some kind souls who's willing to help.

The hotelink's out cos we want to save as much as possible so looks like the tube's to go - oh thank you for telling us that we'll not be underground the entire journey, at least can see some sights :)

Have a good day. Anyone face the same problem - you'll be at T4 and wants to use the tube to get to town?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

It's really easy to use the HEX to get from T4 to T1,2,3. Signage is good to get to the HEX station, and the trains are marked as well - some do the loop and some go directly to Paddington - there's an announcement made as well before the doors close. Then it's about a five minute walk from the HEX station to the tube station - again, good signage to help. It would be nice to say you can use the free trolleys to ease the luggage burden, but there are barricades at the entrance to HEX and tube station so the trolleys can only go so far. There will be more on the other side of the barricade, where others have abandoned them. It sounds daunting, esp when you're weary after a long flight (and some of the corridors you'll walk are painted that awful industrial green), but there are some moving sidewalks to speed things along, and getting from T4 to T1,2,3 shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, including the HEX trip.

Sights along the M4...well...there's always the Lucozade sign (at least I hope it's still there) and the Hammersmith Apollo...erm, and that's it, really.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
112 Reviews
London, UK
Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

hey travellerplus,

that's fast! you replied almost instantly! You gave very detailed instructions which we're going to faithfully print out and follow to a T. However, if I take the HEX from T4 to the other terminals with tube stations, how will they know if we're ust riding for transfer and not riding it to Paddington? Will they insist we pay? When do we buy a ticket - before boarding the HEX or after it leaves Healthrow? Btw, which terminal would you recommend we jump off the HEX to transfer to a tube - T1, 2 or 3.

Sorry, it's really our time there and we've absolutely no idea how healthrow looks like and how the train/tube system works but I guess it's gonna be massive and crazy. :( You don't know how grateful I am to forumites like you who take time to entertain simple queries like mine. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

There is only one Heathrow Express station serving terminals 1, 2 &3. And only one tube station serving those 3 terminals. You don't have to worry about paying on the Heathrow Express if you are going from T4 to T1,2,3 because they don't start checking tickets until after the train leaves T1,2,3 for Paddington.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
928 Reviews
London, UK
Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to town from Heathrow? Airbus?

Thanks Ron for your reply. Now, I get a better picture. Thanks. :)