We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Communities

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London Communities

Does anyone know of a map of the unofficial communities in London? I have a map listing the official boroughs but many of the search pages list areas like Bloomsbury, Soho, Docklands, etc and I'm having a hard time figuring out where these areas are in relation to other places.

Thanks,

Amy

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Communities

What a good and original question - someone may well have an answer, but the problem is that some of these area names are a bit of a generalisation (ie don't exactly finish on one street - or would be the matter of debate)

I look forward to seeing what comes up.

Just to confuse matters a little further - about your title : when people are referring to 'communities' in London they often mean particular ethnic groupings - we have such a diverse range of nationalities, origins etc living in the capital .

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Communities

You mean on the internet? I can't think of one. You can get all sorts of London maps in Stanfords map shop in Long Lane, Covent Garden.

Soho is in the borough of Westminster, and I think that Bloomsbury is mainly in the borough of Camden but I don’t see how knowing that would help you very much. Londoners would probably use instead the postal district that somewhere is in, which would give them a rough guide of where somewhere is (WC = west central, EC = east central, W1 = west one, W2 = west two etc.). To give an example of the part I know best:

WC1 - Bloomsbury and Holborn

WC2 - Covent Garden and the Strand

W1 - Fitzrovia, Marylebone, Mayfair, Soho

W2 - Bayswater and Paddington.

If you’re looking for something like a hotel address and it has an “E” postcode it’s in east London starting at about St Paul’s Cathedral. If it has a SW southwest postcode, the lower numbers are around Buckingham Palace, Victoria station, Pimlico and the higher numbers are south of the river.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London Communities

This is why you need a guidebook. A borough map is not useful at all. When people refer to Westminster they (usually) aren't talking about the borough, nor Islington, Camden or Kensington. A guidebook will have a neighbourhood breakdown.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Communities

A very good question indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_borough

http://www.london.gov.uk/london/links.jsp

These websites may help, but they may add to the confusion as well. Using the main page of the Wikipedia site plus a Tube map should start to give you an idea of what's where; the second link listed has a rather smarmy photo of Our Ken at the top of the page - ignore that and check out the links.

Very quick and dirty: Bloomsbury is mostly in Camden with the Holborn-ish bits in the City of Westminster; Soho, Paddington, Marylebone, Mayfair, Belgravia, Bayswater, Pimlico - all City of Westminster.

Tower Hamlets is Bethnal Green, Whitechapel, Shadwell, Mile End, Poplar, Bow, Stepney., Wappping and the Isle of Dogs. Very diverse range of neighbourhoods - I really like the borough's website.

Hackney is Dalston, Hackney, Stoke Newington, Clapton, Hoxton, Shoreditch and Stamford Hill. Haringey takes in Finsbury Park, Muswell Hill, Crouch End, Tottenham, Stroud Green and (just to confuse) Harringay.

Islington gives the Angel, Clerkenwell, Islington Green, Highbury, Archway, Holloway, Canonbury and Pentonville. The RB of K&C includes South Ken, Chelsea, Kensington, Holland Park, Notting Hill and Earl's Court.

Southwark includes Borough, Rotherhithe, Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth and East Dulwich. Lambeth includes Vauxhall, Kennington, Stockwell, Clapham, Tulse Hill and Brixton. Lewisham takes in Deptford, Blackheath, Hither Green and Brockley.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Communities

One quick idea which may be good or bad: if you're puzzled about where a place is go to www.flickr.com and put it into the search box. You will then get lots of photos of that particular area, which might be helpful.

London
Level Contributor
278 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Communities

London Docklands is in 'The London Borough of Tower Hamlets'. Soho is in 'The London Borough of Westminter' and Bloomsbury is in 'The London Borough of Camden'.

Whre boroughs are just like districts. From a tourists point of view, knowing the different boroughs (30 something boroughs) isn't necessary.

Just focus on the area's themselves such as Bloomsbury, Soho and Docklans. Because when navigating around London through either a taxi, bus, boat, train or tube, you will always ask for and go to the area itself.

Most maps of London (I think) list the 'borough' in big bold letters then the 'postal codes' in bold smaller font and then the 'areas themselves' in a smaller bold font. Down to street, building names etc.

Hope that helps.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Communities

Actually, all these helpful comments have given the borough that some areas are in - but that doesn't quite answer the posters question. Try it another way: which streets (and I know this will be a matter of debate) approximately form the outer edges of what you consider to be Soho, for example ,and where is it relation to major landmarks (eg Oxford Circus in this case)

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Communities

The London section of www.roughguides.com has sections on each area with its major streets, boundaries etc.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Communities

Valise,

I would say Soho is bordered by Oxford Steet to the north, Charing Cross Road to the east, Regent Street to the west and Shaftesbury Avenue to the south although some may consider Chinatown is Soho.

Hopefully Amy will return here and let us know if we are being helpful or have managed to confuse her even more :-)

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Communities

I'm confused now and I'm not a tourist... Going to the very useful wikipedia and typing in the various area names gives some maps and broad descriptions of their boundaries.

As others have said, it's not too important to know.